windows password to access network service

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi,

I am using windows xp on my home machine and dont have any accounts qith passwords on this machine. i dont have an aministrator account as such and all the accounts are administrator accounts.

i tried the following command at the DOS prompt

runas /u:administrator "net start npf"

and i am being prompted for a password. what password should i enter there, since i dont have an account with a password.

i tried to assign myself a password and use that but that does not work either, instead i get the message

"Attempting to start net start npf as user "COMP\administrator" ...
RUNAS ERROR:Unable to run - net start npf
1326: Logon failure: unknown user name of bad password"

can you guys help me with this password issue.

Go into your computer management (right click on my computer and click manage). Go into Computer accounts, then local accounts.
Right click on the one called "Administrator" and click change password. Press ok to any warning boxes and then enter a new password.

On a side note, if you're an administrator, why are you wanting to runas that command? Just type "net start npf" and it should work.

thanks for the reply,

i tried to find the computer accounts in computer management but could not find it, perhaps it is because i am finding comuter management local which is different from the full version, is that correct?

i guess runas is when you are having local rights, not administrative rights, i did run the command by simply typing net start npf and it worked.

Go into your computer management (right click on my computer and click manage). Go into Computer accounts, then local accounts.
Right click on the one called "Administrator" and click change password. Press ok to any warning boxes and then enter a new password.

On a side note, if you're an administrator, why are you wanting to runas that command? Just type "net start npf" and it should work.

it don't work on a limited account

A Limited Account is one that is not tha Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom