I Feared, it happened, or did it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ste

Do not Stare at my Avatar
Yea, so I awoke at 5AM today and simply couldn't sleep anymore. Thus I go onto my computer and play crysis for about 2-3 hours. Once I am done Playing I always restart just to clear the RAM. Anywho, I start SMP F@H up and BAM. Computer turns off. So I think to myself, ok power supply died, no big deal, PC Power and cooling has a nice 5 year warranty that will cover any parts that the power supply took with it. Now since the ABIT Ix38 quad GT has onboard on/off, reset and clear cmos buttons I never attached the case buttons. So I push the on/off button, fans turn on but only for one second. I do this 3-4 more times just to be sure and same thing happens. So my suspicions seem confirmed, the power supply died. So I unplug everything but the fans and I use the paper clip trick to turn on the power supply, connecting the green wire to a black one on the 24 Pin Plug. It turns on, and stays on. All the fans are running. No problems. So I hook everything back up, and press the power button. Fans turn on, GPU fan turns on, everything but only for second. So I am like, son of a...... So I leave the room for like 20 mins, I then come back and decide to press the on/off button in for 3 seconds. Everything powers on and board POSTs, I can even get into the CMOS setup and poke around. All My Overclock settings are cleared but thats ok. So now I am going to shove everything back into the case.
Anyways:
This is the state my beloved rig currently lies..

And for those interested, the next pictures is of the Onboard on/off and reset buttons. And a small LED status box, to assist with POST messages.

This image is of the Back Clear CMOS button, yes, its on the I/O Panel. Very convient if I do say so myself..

Anyways, I have no clue why this happened, or why its all working now after like 6 hours. If something did kick the bucket, I hope it was the power supply and nothing else.. Since I can't RMA the CPU after I lapped it... :(

Any ideas why this might have happened? Again, I have no idea..
If my PSU quits under load again, I will just RMA it..

Ah, that's great that you got it back up and running. Being patient is always best for everything. :) Anyways, it seems as if the PSU wasn't giving enough power for all of your components.

Yup, PSU is gone. Can't handle load at stock setting:
It POSTs, it boots into windows, but it shuts off soon as I run Prime 95, Even at stock settings..

RMA Time. Least it didn't take any parts with it.. Or that is yet to be determined until I get new PSU..

Actually, before I RMA the PSU, Ill do some testing. I a whole nother set of parts to test.
I have diff RAM, Mobo, my old E6600 and a PCIE Express card. So I guess Ill try E6600 in this mobo, or should I just throw all the different parts in all together?

Suggestions?
If through all the diff parts, the same thing happens under load I will RMA the PSU.

Like 8-9 Months... after testing other parts I will give PC Power and cooling tech support a call. I can't remember my account information for the life of me..

hey st, i went through the same problem...kinda similar i guess.
Although im not sure if it was on my current rig or the pc upstairs.
It would keep turning off, but then i left and came back after couple hours and it worked just fine.

it never happened again so i didnt try to find a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom