Stop error in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwr89

Baseband Member
I've been recently getting windows stop errors in XP. they developed when I did 3 things. 1) fought a large virus attack, 2) Installed a new stick of ram, and 3) updated my Video card's drivers.

and I know, those are 3 very very common reasons why my PC should be having stop errors.

so here are the specs:

Windows XP Professional
Motherboard: Asus P5NSLI
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86gh
Ram: 2 sticks of Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Video Card: Geforce 7900GS (256mb)
Power supply: Antec 450 Watt
IEEE 1394 card
4 hard drives (2 IDE and 2 SATA)
all inside an Antec Sonata II case
(I know its probably too much info)

anyways, I run the system fine for about a year now and I start to get a bad virus attack which lasted about 2 weeks but I got it all cleared out (with lots of help from Oasis) but right at the beginning of that Steam told me that my graphics driver was out of date, figures it was I had not updated for some time (about 6 months) so I updated, later that day I installed a new stick of ram that I got for Christmas, exact same model as the first and it is listed in my mobo's manual as compatible. so I fight the viruses and get them out. A Few days later I play some of Portal and boom BSOD. I am not sure what message it displayed, I didn't like my PC having all the power running through it with it not working properly. so I restarted. and then I go to play some Counter-Strike:Source and boom, BSOD, again I was dumb and didn't write the stuff down. so I just let it sit for a couple of days thinking about it. It came to me that it might be the new drivers because I completely played through Half-Life 2 episode 2 before I installed it without any crashes. so I went and researched, (of course I have no Idea what driver I was running) I got NGO's tweeked Forceware 92.91 driver because thats what lots of people said was the best. and that has quieted most all of my problems, been running it for a week now and it seems really great. yesterday I was talking to 3 people on Trillian, had 2 instances of firefox running one of them with about 4 tabs and the other with 2, and I was working in Photoshop, I was editing a picture that was 1600x1200 at 300dpi and I was zoomed in at about 300% and it crashed to BSOD.

I am retarded once again because I didn't write down the message and I don't know how to locate and read the data dumps or whatever they are called.

I did manage to write 1 of them down that was a crash in Counter-Strike: Source.

0X0000008E (0XC0000005 0XBFAF61D8 0XB62A9ADC 0X00000000)

nv4_disp.dll -BFAF61D8 base at BF9D5000 date stamp 47567aa4

the nv4_disp.dll part is what made me think to change up the video driver. but I don't have the reason for the latest crash.

should I run something like prime95 to check my ram?

oh yeah, I forgot, I haven't had any crashes durring games since I got a new driver.

thanks!
~Casey

nv4_disp.dll is part of Nvidia

Take the new stick of ram out and try it out for a few days.... This is much faster than running memtest which is a waste of time for the most part. Usually taking out the new stick fixes the issue. Maybe its not seated correctly? Try another ram slot? Take the old one out and use the new one? You gotta experiment here.

You could use driver cleaner and then install the drivers fresh and see where that gets you. ;)

P.S I'm Osiris, not Oasis :)

great thanks!

I actually uninstalled the driver before I installed the new one.
time to play with the ram. if it is the ram slot moving it to the 3rd slot would mean I would be running dual channel. would that be faster, 1gig dual or 2 gig single?
I am sorry for the name. hehe, I knew it was something like that.
~Casey

Dual, Single, not really sure, depends on what kind of system you are running like a highend system, you prolly wont notice much or anything at all for that matter....

There are some single channel boards out there that whoop all over dual channels, just depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom