Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerrod

Beta member
Well me and my friend had a hard drive that had damaged, and it would not format the partitions when trying to re-install Xp. So i looked about, and found the program KillDisk. I used it on the hard drive and killed the sections that the formatting couldn't get to. But now it seems to me, that it doesn't even know its a hard drive! If that makes since, Like when i connect it to the computer it doesn't show up anywhere at all. I don't think it knows what to register as, help? Or something i can do maybe, or maybe an easy reset button xD

Have you tried looking in Disk Management? You'll have to re-format the entire drive, since you nuked it. To get there in XP: Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management (on the side panel) > find the drive in the panel on the right > right click > format it (do a full format, since you nuked the drive).

Well, to get to the hard drive, were connecting it to my gaming rig, which is on Vista. Do you know how i can fix it on vista? His computer runs xp.

It is quite possible that killdisk writes to the hard drive and reads it back and then also possible if the sector is bad marks it as bad, so you do not see it or the hard drive does not use the bad sectors.

1. If the bad sectors were in the first 60 sectors that could be bad, that is were the boot sector lives.
2. chuck it,,, a hard drive with bad sectors is not like you getting a cold. The hard drive will never get over bad sectors, just more and more creep in with possible data loss and the drive letting you down at a bad time. Hard drives are CHEAP. I remeber paying $375.00 for a 454meg ( ..a little under half a gig ) IBM hard drive in the mid 90's.,,and it was on sale.

So, are you saying we should just try for a new drive?

And all KillDisk does is it brings up a thing listing hard drives, so i found that one and deleted the info off of it with KillDisk in the unallocated memory and the main drive. Now i don't even think it knows its a drive? Is it possible that it deleted the boot sector?

I'm having problems trying to partition so I can dual boot x86 and x64 XP, and I'm considering just buying a Hard Disk tomorrow...

I'm trying to use HDD Regenerator to see what happens. If nothing goes my way, I'm going to buy a new drive... this is annoying :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom