Need some help with comp upgrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubius

Baseband Member
Hello i need some help. I have a Gateway GT5228 (all stock atm) and was thinking about Upgrading some components. First off will 800mhz ram work in my computer? Right now it has 533mhz. Secondly I am going to put in a ATI 3850 Video card in it and was wondering if i will have to upgrade the Power supply as well. ( I have no idea what wattage the one inside has right now.) Secondly what socket is my processor 939 or AM2. I am looking into getting a 6000+ or a 6400+ ( have a 4200+ right now). I bought this computer little more than a year ago. Thanks in advance.

-Anubius

i wouldnt assume that your comp will run a 6400 with no bios update. it likely wont, and you may need one for a 6000 as well. you should double check that before you buy the chip.

Ok what would you say would be the highest AMD dual core processor to go with. Another Question Would my Video card be bottlenecked with my current processor. Mainly Doing the upgrades for MMORPGing and Crysis (I realize i wont be running Crysis on Max settings anyway i just want to get as close as possible on a limited budget.) Again thanks for the Info.

-Anubius

The first link from the original post says i have stuff that i dont. Says Media Center Comp has 1 gig of ram and i have 2 gigs it also has that i have a 3800+ when i have a 4200+, not exactly sure if this makes any kind of diffrence to the original question, but there it is. Thanks in Advance.

-Anubius

Guess ill put what i know i have

250 gig hard drive
2 gigs of 533mhz ram
4200+ processor
6100 motherboard with one PCIe x16 slot

everything else is pretty vague. Hope this helps.

i have no idea what the highest processor would work in your motherboard.
we need numbers from the board itself...i dont see anything useful in the specs page.
ie what kind of mobo?
it may be easier to google the model of your prebuild and x2 6000 or x2 6400 and see what comes up, if you are not comfortable finding the numbers.
EDIT:
ok i googled it real quick and from what i can find it seems that it will support the 6400. if you want to be SURE (always a good idea lol) get the numbers off your mobo and post them here.

Download and run Everest and post up the info it pulls on the mobo. From there, we should be able to find the answer.

Oh, and from what I can see, you have the media center, but with extra RAM/options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom