Video Card Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
I have noticed something strange with my video card. My video card is a 6800GS 256MB. Using the NVIDIA Control Panel my video card is idling at 60C-72C with the fan on automatic at 53%. Now, when I first got the card it used to Reach 70-80C under full load from Oblivion. Whenever I play a game like EVE Online and tab to the Control Panel I get temps over 100C. My card a couple years old, so is this a result of "old age?"

Using Core TEMP 0.96 my core temps are anywhere from 30C to 40C. I think my case has good ventilation. I have 3 fans, one in the front, one in the back, and one on the side. Of course I have a fan over my heatsink and the video card has a fan as well.

Over 100C?!

If your case or graphic's heatsink is dusty, you should clean it, and clean regularly.

I would suggest getting a new gfx card. But if you can't, look into an aftermarket heatsink, as well as aftermarket thermal paste....to help with the cooling.

Or turn the GPU's fan at 100% while gaming, if the noise won't bother you.

Yea, either that or the sensor is wrong, which I doubt. I will turn off my computer and do a more thorough cleaning of the video card...And the fan is at 100% :(. Guess this thing is running out of life...My apartment isn't hot either.

Well, I took my video card out and noticed I needed a tiny screwdriver to reveal the heatsink. I went out and bought some and was able to clean out a large dust gathering...now it's running below 60C playing a game such as EVE...odd how such a relatively low amount of dust can do that.

Well, now I know. I knew dust was bad...just didn't know a small piece a centimeter by a centimeter would be such a little devil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom