CaseMod Sneak Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so what kind of resistor should I put in? 333 ohms as someone suggested before? That seems like a pretty high number from my limited knowledge of circuits.

In this case, would it make a different to integrate it into the line or to bridge it across both lines like those LEDs?
do not put it in paralell with the LED's. That will severely reduce the overall resistance.
Put it in serial at the very start, or very end. like this:
wirediagramyn0.jpg

The array has been working fine without a resistor. It wouldn't be too hard to put one in but the LEDs are rated for 5v to 6v so I didn't think they would have a problem being overloaded by a 5v source.
It's not the voltage that's the problem. If there's not enough load, it'll short circuit, and let through too many amps.

If you want a calculator to do it for you, have a look at this site, at the very bottom. The Best Current Limiting Resistor Calculator for Led's

Also, please be advised that you do not just pick any random value resistor value that someone has suggested. You need to consider the effects of the characteristics of the LED, the supply voltage, the drop voltage of the LED, etc... You may need a 333 ohm resistor in one scenario, or you might need a 270 ohm resistor in another scenario.

Wire Management now! Please! ;) Great etching though, love the dragon! :happy:

It's a lion ಠ_ಠ

I wasn't happy with the brightness of the LEDs I got at radio shack so I ordered some that were 10x brighter and have a much wider beam angle (100 instead of 20 degrees). I'll post some pictures when I get in the new LEDs in and soldered some time this week.

The new LEDs were delivered to me tonight! I'll be soldering tomorrow, I'll take some pictures of the in-progress and end results.

Quick question for the people who actually know something about this stuff.
Does it matter if the resistor is on the hot wire or the ground wire? Is there any reason to put a resistor on each LED instead of just a single one at the end?

great stuff man, you a leo?
and sure etching might get easy after practising, but its the artistic mind ppl have that makes it look good.
hope everything turns out the way you want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom