x38 vs x48?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Are there any differences between higher FSB and DDR3 support? Also what kind of difference will I see between the two with an e8500 (when they come out). Also what are the differences between the x38/x48 and the p35 boards? (same cpu question applies)

also if there isn't a noticeable difference, what is the best board for overclocking? I don't need sli or crossfire and plan on getting a TRUE if they come back in stock on the egg.

From what i've read so far, X48 will try to mainstream DDR3. Which is a bad investment at this point. As well, seeing as the new penryns can support higher FSB, the overclocking ability's of the new CPU's are more dependant on the MB itself rather then the CPU ( i'm simply paraphrasing what i have heard, so if i am incorrect plz correct me)

X38 would be the best board for you at the moment in reguards to overclocking. I would suggest the maximus or the ABit quad.

p35 boards are an older chipset. Its still a very good chipset with good overclocking ability, and is cheaper then the x38 boards.

x38 has support for pci-e 2.0 and crossfire 16/16, p35 only supports pci-e 1.0 and crossfire 16x/4x so if you plan to run dual ati cards go for x38. x48 is basically going to be cherry picked x38 boards but from all of my reading, wont be worth the premium. Also, buy a quad core, dual cores are already dated. A q6600 is better than a dual core 45nm chip.

so go with an x38 board, and what, throw a e2160/2180 on there and just let that last me until the 45nm quads come out at a reasonable price? I'll also throw a TRUE on this thingy.

whats the best x38 board for overclocking out now? also which is the better of the two, e2160 or 2180. as in which can hit higher.

you can grab an e2200 with an 11x multi. From my experiences with the e2180 the last batch wasn't that great at OCing. 2.95ghz on stock vcore stable as h3ll and then anything past that took insane amount of v. I pumped in 1.6v and still couldn't get it past 3.4 stable. It would boot 3.6 but wouldn't pass prime.

this asus one is really good:Newegg.com - ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

In my view though, quad core is not neccary right now. Most games right now are not quad-core optimzed and people get quad-cores for better CPU score in 3dmark and for photo/video work cuz thats were the extra 2 cores acually work. Mabye in the future games will be quad-core optimized.

Board looks ok, but for about 9 bucks cheaper you can get a ABIT IX38 Quad GT. :O

I'm going to either pick up the abit that ste got, or the gigabyte x38-ds4. That is whenever i switch from SLI to crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom