Going between Mac and PC for sound editing... Help with External HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakie

In Runtime
HDD, Glyph GT050 professional, 160GB HDD.

So.. Yesterday in class we were doing our Digital Audio Workstations lab.. first thing we were doing was called "Writing zero's to the drives". He said most of us have never heard this term, basically it formats the drive but it seems to make it a Mac Drive... He says after formatting it, we will no longer be able to go back and forth from a PC...

Since its a 100% mac school, they suggest it... But because not everybody there has a mac (Its about 50/50) they don't have us Actually do it, they walk us through to the last step and show us how to finish it at home. This was the last thing discussed before class ended and another class came in, I couldn't really ask so I didn't bother

My friend goes between Mac and PC a lot, he said if I don't do anything to the drive (use it right out of the box, no formatting) it will work just fine for both. And what we were doing was "probably" optimizing the hdd for mac.

So my question is what do I do ?

Leave it alone. If it works, don't fix it. You don't optimize a drive if it doesn't work at Windows afterwards.

Leave it alone. If it works, don't fix it. You don't optimize a drive if it doesn't work at Windows afterwards.

I figured it out... Basically the HDD is nearly made for MAC. so what I have to do is get another external HDD, and keep that one home... the one for school will go back and forth, i'll link the two HDD's and transfer the info at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom