How to find my XP reg. key

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
Hey, my mom bought an HP computer about a year ago and I put some games and stuff on it and it's running kind of slow. I'm building a new computer for myself in the next week or two, so I can take everything off (my mom doesn't have anything important on it). I told her I could reformat the harddrive, and that's what she wants. But since we bought it from HP, we didn't get an XP cd. I have another one at our other house that I can use, but I need to find the registry key that the HP is using because I already used the reg. key on the cd I'll be using. Is there a way in windows to find out what the registry key you're using is? Or do I need to call HP or something? Thanks.

There should be a sticker thing on your hp copmuter case that shows the key, and you can use the same key more than once.

What exactly r u trying to do? r u formating the HDD using HP recovery cds or a ms windows xp cd.
If u r using hp recovery cds, they dont require any product key.
If ur using ms xp cds they must have come with product key.
Call hp. They will send u recovery cds. The recovery cds will not require any key. But they can only run on hp computers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion
In right pane, look for key by the name "ProductId". This is your Windows Product Id.

Sorry if there was any confusion. I'm trying to reformat this harddrive using a microsoft windows XP home cd. The key that came with the cd was used on another computer, so I can't use it on this one (I assume) because you can only use it on one computer. I heard that I can use that cd however, as long as I use the registry key from this computer, so I'm trying to find this computers registry key. Thanks for your help.

HP uses another hard drive to reformat your computer, you don't need to reinstall everything. Just go to the following:

Start > All Programs > Hewlett Packard > System Recovery (I believe)

I do want to get everything off though, since I'll have my own computer my mom doesn't want anything but a fresh computer with windows on it. If I do what you said, won't that leave some stuff other than windows on it? I'm not sure, I'm just trying to get more info before I do it. Thanks

blackwrx said:
The key that came with the cd was used on another computer, so I can't use it on this one (I assume) because you can only use it on one computer

No, you can use a key on more than one computer.

you'll find your COE (Code Of Authentication) in holographic form at the back of ur system.

if u couldnt find it, (which should have to be there) then call HP. telling them ur asset tag or whateve applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom