8800gtx soldering help ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
Hey guys, tis been awhile since I've visited the forums. I've been less active with my computer recently, but I got a renewed interest in it when these dam cheap GT's came out, and they're owning my GTX. I simply cannot have this, Lol.

So, I've been looking into the soldering volt mods. I have all the equipment needed (multimeter, soldering kit, researched) I even practiced soldering by building a little light chasing microbug :D

Lol, but see my problem is getting the wire to STICK to the contact on the board. I can get it to stick a little bit, but even the slightest little tug (ie; when i try to wrap it around the board to the pci-e aux power plug's ground), it comes loose. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? How do I get it secure? I'm scared of heating the contact on the board too much, because I don't know how sensitive to heat it is (I'm guessing pretty **** sensitive?)

Any tips?

I guess you should use a tad more solder. Just make sure you don't join other stuff up. ;)

Also if the solder is really old, make sure it is fluxed.

What are your opinions on using a low temp hot glue gun to secure it after it's soldered?
Btw, I'm using as much solder as I can.
edit: well i did it, and there was no isolating the particular part i wanted to hot glue since the nearest thing was like less than an mm away. so i put a big ol drop of hot glue over the connection. since it's not conductive (to my knowledge), and it's cool enough to hot glue my fingers together, i figured it was okay :(
i read about doing it on some site last night anyway
if my card ends up turning on, then this was a good move :) very secure adhesive method.
if not, oh well. it's only a little more than half a grand. no biggie, y'know ? :p

I don't know how to make sense of this label, since my dad picked all this stuff up for me and I don't know anything about it.

It says
Sn60/Pb40 0.032" dia. 3.3% Flux RA300
Is this any good to use?

bump.
i got it all set up... turned it on, came on fine, got excited opened ati tool and riva tuner... then i messed with the VR, and nothing happened. turned it off, about to give up cause i didnt know what was wong, then i looked at my soldered connections.. they all came off, even with the copious hot glue. so the stuff just isn't sticking. i dont know what to do, how do you guys get the soldered wire to STAY on the board?

What side of the board are you soldering on? The top/front that has the capasiors and resistors has a coating on it. Only the bottom/back can be soldered on where the pins come through the board. As far as the solder, SN is tin, PB is lead. The 60 and 40 are the percent of each in the solder. 3.3% is the amount of flux in the core and RA300 is the type of flux. Dia is self explanatory. That is a standard type of solder. I prefer not to use lead and like lead free solder with silver in it. It should work fine tho.

yeah i soldered on the back, except for two points on the front where a guide said to solder some wires to monitor the two voltages.
oh well. how do people do it? is the solder its self supposed to be enough to hold the wire on?

Yes, but its a lot easier to use a silver solder without flux in it, and use a separate flux. I use an acid paste flux (I know, I know, acid = bad, but I personally have never problems as long as you clean the board), which burns the coating off the board and makes soldering MUCH easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom