x1 link width, instead of x16

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGlazer

In Runtime
Thus far, I've spent countless hours reading/overclocking/testing stability/etc. and things have gone very well in the overclocking department. I am very happy with the results and the time spent was definately worth it. However, only 1 thing is bothering me after everything I've done.......
In CPU-Z, it reads that I'm at x1 link width, and this is correct and not a reading error from CPU-Z as I noticed during benchmarks. I can correct this problem by restarting my computer and going into the BIOS, and switching my PCIE frequency (I can't remember the exact name) from 104 to 105 & 105 to 104. This is extremely annoying, as I have to start my computer, let it load for like 2 mins, only to restart it and change the frequency, and let it re-load again, EVERY TIME. This is the only way I've managed to get MY PCI-E running at x16 again.

I've tried uninstalling my video card and drivers and re-installing it; but still no luck. I've also tried every setting from 100-110, but it will not give me x16 at startup. Oh yea, can anybody send me a link or give me some information on the PCIE frequency setting in the BIOS? I have no idea what's happening when I changed it from 100 to 105 or 110.......... Just many people have told me not to exceed 110.......... but no one I know can tell me what it does, or what happens as you increase/decrease this setting.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanx in advance!!!

There isn't a section in bios that lets you change the link width? My older Asus a8n32sli had that option. I forgot what it was under.

No, there isn't............ or I would have done it already.

Guru is away of this problem, cause he had the same problem as me; but i dunno how he fixed it.............

this is quite an annoying problem unique to the P5B.

I have found that the only way of getting rid of it was to reset the bios settings to factory defaults...restart....then enter in all your bios settings again.

I haven't tried that before Gurusan, I'll give it a try and post back the result.

*** UPDATE ***

Failed.............. Will changing the NB/SB/FSB Terminal Voltage help? I have all those settings in AUTO, cause I haven't read enough about them to set them yet. If it does help, what should I set them too?

A shot in the dark here..... Have you tried putting it back to factory default BIOS settings, and Leaving it at that to see if the problem still exists at factory default? could perhaps warrent an RMA on the board..... maybe?

yer the same thing happend to me and my p5b-e set NB/SB/FSB Terminal Voltage to the stock voltage and your graphics card should be at x16 again do not overvolt the NB/SB/FSB Terminal Voltage cause it will default to x1

NB/SB/FSB Terminal stock voltages are??? Sorry, I dont' know their stock voltages, but if this can solve my problem, You will be my best friend :D

just set the NB/SB/FSB Terminal stock voltages to the lowest option available

EDIT

are you using the NB/SB/FSB Terminal stock voltages for your overclock? aka does it make a difference to your overclock if you lower the NB/SB/FSB Terminal stock voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom