Q6600 @ 3.3ghz and above on AIR owners:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I need some advice from those of you who have gone above 3.3ghz. I seem to be stuck here. I can boot up with 3.6ghz and start to run Prime95 with it, but it will get errors within the first 30 seconds. And this is with the voltage around 1.46v! Anything lower and its just more and more unstable to the point that it doesn't boot.

What kind of voltages are you 3.6ghzers running? And what is the VID of your cpu? What could be holding me back?

I haven't been successful in overclocking my RAM at all, I have it set to "Unlinked" so it stays right at 800mhz no matter the FSB.

What is the VID of your chip. Not the voltage, the VID. I have had my q6600 clocked as high as 4.050 with 1.55v, but tend to keep it at 3.6 around 1.4v. My VID is 1.2 though.

Seems the higher the vid, the more voltage it takes to get a stable OC. I have a vid of 1.3 and was fine until 3.3ghz. It took very little voltage increase to get there (1.38v), but once I went over 3.3ghz, the voltage had to be bumped up to 1.48v on the core. I can run 3.7ghz (1.506v)and play games and run 3Dmark, but it is not Prime95 or smp stable. 3.5ghz is as high as i could go stable, and even then I had to bump the NB, FSB and Dram to get there where 3.3ghz was just the Vcore bump to 1.38v. You may be able to get 3.4 or 3.5 stable, but it will take some work.

Seems the higher the vid, the more voltage it takes to get a stable OC. I have a vid of 1.3 and was fine until 3.3ghz. It took very little voltage increase to get there (1.38v), but once I went over 3.3ghz, the voltage had to be bumped up to 1.48v on the core. I can run 3.7ghz (1.506v)and play games and run 3Dmark, but it is not Prime95 or smp stable. 3.5ghz is as high as i could go stable, and even then I had to bump the NB, FSB and Dram to get there where 3.3ghz was just the Vcore bump to 1.38v. You may be able to get 3.4 or 3.5 stable, but it will take some work.

Yeah same thing mine does...well I guess 3.3 is as far as i'm going to go with this chip. I don't like the voltage up in the 1.45+ range, isn't 1.5v the limit according to Intel?

See, the VID of my q6600 is 1.2 and i can easily run 3.6ghz at 1.35v Mind you this isnt prime stable, but its stable for every day usage. Now that i lapped my cpu and heatsink i'll probably go for prime stable at 3.6, i'm guessing it'll take me around 1.4-1.42v to get stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom