2:3 divider versus 1:1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
If ram can run at a stable speed at 2:3 divider, should it by default be able to run that same rate on a 1:1 divider? or does it depend?

Like say you have ddr2-800 running at 400Mhz on a 2:3 divider. Assuming overclocks are all fine, in theory should it be able to run at 400Mhz on a 1:1 divider? or is running 1:1 harder for the ram than 2:3?

Plz help me out :( I have posted on 3 different forums related to overclocking and have gotten no ideas.

Would lowering the divider from 2:3 to 1:1 affect ram running at stock 400Mhz? or is the divider totally independent of the speed the ram runs at?

The problematic stick runs fine at 266x8 400Mhz with a 2:3 divider, but will not even boot at 400x8 1:1 divider, 400Mhz. When I use the SAME SETTINGS with the other stick, I get perfect results on the 2:3 and the 1:1. (needless to say dual channel gives the same problem as the problem stick by itself)

For some reason the problematic stick just refuses to run higher than 313Mhz when I set the divider 1:1.

ANY ideas are appreciated! Even if you just say, it's bad ram, or try this, or buy a new stick haha.

Thanks

EDIT--------

This is just INSANE it's driving me crazy..
How can this ram run at 450Mhz on a 2:3 divider, and when I lower the divider to 1:1 it can't go passed 313Mhz?!
I have even tried various FSB speeds to see if maybe it was a motherboard hole. I tried 314x8, 320x8, 325x8, 330x8, 340x8, 375x8 400x8.. nada...

I literally tried a 1mhz increase to 314x8 and it would not boot.. It's not even unstable or anything it just does not boot. And if i try anything about 320ish this is exactly what happens.

f10>save>restart>*beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*>restart>FSB back to default 266...

I don't know if the beeps mean anything versus an unstable memory that fails prime95, but this is crazy. I tried 2.0v, 2.1v, 2.2v, raising CPU voltage past what I needed for the other stick, raising (G)MCH and FSB Termination, NOTHING changed it. Just does not boot, I get the 2 long beeps and a reset.

just buy a new stick if one isn't doing what the other can...

Well I took your advice and bought another stick yesterday. Was the last thing I wanted to do, but I guess it's worth it if it works. Was only $28 bucks, and $14 after I used the rest of my gift certificate, so I guess it's not a big deal.

I still have not gotten the answer to my question though, if ram runs fine at 400Mhz-450Mhz on a 2:3 divider, why cant it run 400-450mhz on a 1:1 divider when I know it's not the CPU/Mobo/Psu etc. (And posted this on about 4 different forums)

Anyway, I'll post back in a few days when I get the ram for the outcome. If worse comes to worse I can just keep it at 2.5ghz.. and hey I have 3gb of ram now. I could go 3.0ghz 2x1gb of ram, or 2.5ghz 3x1gb of ram depending on what I want to do :p

lol this is what I got from the G.skill guy:

"actually, 1:1 is harder than the others
you could try to run DDR2 800 with default cpu clock first, if there is still problem, please rma with us "

So, even though it makes no sense to me, running 1:1 is harder on the ram than 2:3. My new stick comes sometime today, so I am praying that it works like the first stick, and not the second.

Ok here is the interesting update. I just got my 3rd stick about 10 minutes ago... and it works perfectly just like the first stick.

The first stick runs 375-400x8 1:1 perfect, the third stick runs 375-400x8 1:1 perfect, and the second can't get past 313x8 on a 1:1 ratio, and when I try anything higher windows wont even boot... I just get the 2 beeps of death and restart.

Now I ask you this? Is it a bad stick of ram.. or did I just get a dud that won't OC (is running 400x8 on a 1:1 divider even considered an OC for DDR2-800?). I posted on the g.skill forums again and told the guy he and I both know that there is obviously something up with the 2nd stick, and asked what I could do, but I have a feeling its not gonna help.

And now this dilemma comes up. What is better (for MMOs mostly):

2.5Ghz, 3GB of ram.... or.... 3.0-3.2Ghz, 2GB of ram?

i cant believe one of the intel guys didnt answer this thread...
i am not certain of how intels overclock, but i'll wager a guess (your wording of your question is kind of confusing, so i'll do my best) that your ram is not running at 450mhz on a 2:3 divider, its running at...well, something lower than 313 or the highest clock you can get it to. i know the ram/fsb can be linked or unlinked on intels, not sure how to do that. its also obviously a bad ram stick lol.
BUT...one question that i can answer is that 400x(whatever...it doesn't matter the multiplier if your ratio is 1:1 i dont think with intel anyway...it DOES matter with AMD) is NOT an overclock for ddr2 800. its stock speed is 400mhz, which is what is runs at at that setting.
okay, so i dont really get the "1:1 is harder" part. if your ram cant do 400mhz, something is wrong with it. unless you are trying to do like 500mhz fsb, i dont see why it would be difficult to run a 1:1 ram/fsb ratio. and most high end ddr2 800 should do that with some more juice.
1:1 ratio isnt really necessary anyway.
anyways, thats my input if it helps. like i said, i have limited knowledge of intel overclocking.

Yeah thanks for the help. I have figured it was a bad stick since I started OCing this, and it was just driving me nuts that nobody (not even the g.skill guy) was helping..

But anyway I talked to the guy again and he said I can RMA it and I am just going to say something is wrong with it and it wont run at 400Mhz like it's suppose to.

The only way 1:1 would be "harder" is for the board, rather than the ram, if you are keeping the ram at a high frequency. If the ram is at, say, 500MHz, at 2:3 the bus has to run at 333MHz, whereas at 1:1 it has to run at 500, which is harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom