What video card for a 375W Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard99

Solid State Member
What do you guys recommend I get for a new video card? My power supply is only 375W.

Thanks.

Well I didn't think people were noticing I only had a 375W PSU. Everybody kept recommending cards that the manufacturer recommends having a larger PSU than what I have. I tried editing the title but it wouldn't let me. I was hoping I would get a better response with a better title.

the manufacturer recomendation is usually alot higher then needed especially when it comes to the enw 3800 series from ati,and you would also greatly benefit from a new power suply before video card.

well considering a fully loaded system w/ an 8800gtx will only do about 350 watts... you can safely take a ati 3850... and if you feel like ur pushing it then... then an 8600gts.. or 7900gt will do you good

When you guys say 3850 you are referring to the HD3850 correct? I just want to make sure there is not a plain 3850 and I order the wrong one. The HD 3850 is a better card than the 8600gts anyway correct?

I would upgrade my PSU but I don't want to dump too much money into it. I would like to just get a new card to tide me over for a little while and then build a better system. How much would a decent PSU run?

I am also going to add a 500GB hard drive so would that and the HD3850 still work with my 375W PSU? Those are the only upgrades I am planning.

I appreciate all the help.

ya there are only 2 version of the 3850.. there is a 512mb and a 256mb... people w/ the 256mb version seem to be doing just fine.. but if your gaming at 1680x1050.. i'd suggest the 512mb version

You can get a decent psu for $50. Sometimes less if you can find them on sale. Things to remember is watts don't matter as much as amps and stability. A bad psu could take out your whole system.

watts are just as important if your trying to run a high end system

no point in getting a great 520watt psu w/ lots of amps if ur trying to run 2 2900xt's :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom