Is the problem my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noahnz

Beta member
I recently built a new computer, and though I had help I've never built one before. My motherboard is an Asus m2n-sli deluxe and my video card is an evga geforce 8800 gt superclocked edition. The video card uses a pci express 2.0 interface while the card is pci express 1.

Before I bought my parts, I read that pci-e 2.0 is completely backwards compatible, but upon further reading I discovered that some say it matters if the older device is pci-e 1.0a or 1.1a. In any case, I don't know what my motherboard is.

When I turned my computer on for the first time, everything seemed fine. No beeps, unusual sounds - except the monitor stayed black and the LED remained the amber color that means no signal. I took the video card out and tried it again. Same thing. I put it in the other pci-e slot (I have 2) and still no signal. Finally, I tried both slots with a Radeon x 1950 pro. Again, no signal. The monitor, cable, and adapter that I was using on my new computer were the same ones that worked fine with my old one.

So, essentially I have two questions:
1) Is the problem my motherboard?
2) If the problem is my motherboard and I need to get a new one should I get one that expressly supports pci-e 2.0 or should I be fine with a pci-e 1 board?

Thanks so much for the feedback, this problem has been extremely frustrating.

the whole pci 1.0 and 2.0 are just interface speeds and are really not going to make much difference if ur motherboard has one or the other for now. a 2.0 graphics card will work flawless on a older pci express x16 and vice versa. The problem may have nothing to do with the graphics or the mobo, check power, see if the processor is in well and if ur ram is being underpowered.

Yes, all the cables are where they should be. I've taken the RAM out and put it in the other slots, still nothing. My friend says that the processor needs to be in for the computer to turn on at all, so I'm fairly sure thats working. I'm not sure exactly how to tell if my power supply is right for the computer, but its 650 watts and sli ready w/ 3 12v rails w/ 19A each. Not like that means much to me...

Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail
thats the psu

it will cause the computer to be sluggish or boot up then freeze. Can you hear ur harddrive start accessing files? Like tho as if its loading windows? or does it just turn on and thats it? cause that will narrow the causes alot.

I haven't installed windows yet. I turn on the computer, all the lights and fans come on, but there is no signal to the monitor. It says black and the light stays orange. I'm approaching the 30-day refund deadline for my motherboard. I think I'm going to try and get a different board of the same type. Any other ideas?

No signal. I've notice a lot of people have been having this problem. I usually get it when I clean out the dust on my 7600GT. But it's fixed once I reseat the video card and unplug + plug back in the D-sub cable. Double check if all wires are connected. Check your 4-pin PSU power connector as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom