Question about NVIDIA drivers and control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
So I was just able to install the new forceware drivers for my brand new 8800GT.

The drivers put a *bunch* of stuff in the startup on msconfig:
RUNDLL32.exe C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
RUNDLL32.exe C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
RUNDLL32.exe C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

I'm a guy that prefers as little stuff to start on startup as possible, so I was wondering just how 'optional' these are...

Are they needed?
What do they do?
What side effects would I get from disabling them?

Is there a different way of disabling them, other than simply unchecking the box in msconfig? I find that if there is a setting that can be turned off somewhere... that is a much better way to go at it.

The NVSVC i think is the nVidia Start Center.
The 2nd is the nVidia start up for hte drivers.
The 3rd is the nVidia taskbar button.

For sure i would say the first 2 are needed. The 3rd is kinda optional. If you disable then then you could lose not only the drivers working but the only way to access the start menu.

I have -everything- turned off in my startup. Well i take that back, i turned avast back on. So no, you dont need them on.

er...ok i lied again. I turned on the software for my g15 and g5.

You can access the Nvidia Control Panel by other means than the tray icon or having it running in the background. You can turn all of them off.

You can access the Nvidia Control Panel by other means than the tray icon or having it running in the background. You can turn all of them off.

Yeah, I thought I had them off on my old machine without any problems...

I just wanted to be *sure*. You're *sure*?

I heard some of them involved loading the actual drivers...

i have the exact same card, regardless the drivers for the 6, 7 , & 8 series Nvidia cards are the same. yes you can disable and/or delete the startup entries with no problem.

That is my thoughts. They use less than anything else that starts up. LEss than Avast. So why turn them off.

True, they use hardly any resource's. But I run VM's on this machine so every resource counts. It also makes finding malicious items easier to pick out, even though I know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom