Graphics problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
I just installed my new EVGA 8800 GT 512mb. Everything installed fine and I restarted my computer.

I decided to test out my uber graphics card, so I loaded up Gears of War. Played so smooth with great settings... for about 3 minutes. Then the screen's colors went crazy and my computer froze. I've heard a lot about how often Gears crashes for some people, so I decided to try a different game. So I restarted and this time loaded up Half Life 2 Episode 2. I turned my settings up and marveled at the smooth framerate for about 5 seconds. The same glitch happened (I hadn't even left the menu screen yet). I've monitored my GPU temperature and it hasn't gone over 57C, so it's not a temp problem. Also someone on another forum said the card might not be getting enough power from the power supply... But obviously it is if it's able to run games, even if just for a short time. Anyone know what the problem could be?

I installed the latest EVGA drivers off the site. 168.28 or something like that.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo e4300 1.8Ghz
2GB DDR2 533 RAM
Motherboard: some generic Gateway piece of crap

My #1 guess is a defective card. Return it for a new one. The 8800's have a large percent defective rate.

Well, I uninstalled the EVGA 168.28 drivers and installed Nvidia's 168.25 drivers and now everything works perfectly. Hasn't crashed since I installed. So I guess everything is cool. Thanks for the help though guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom