Is it really that hard to build a computer????

Status
Not open for further replies.

66nova

Solid State Member
I'm a noob when it comes to this. I've never upgraded/switched anything on a computer. Would it be smarter for me to just buy a computer already put together? I would like to try it but i'm sort of hesitant to try. Any suggestions???

Putting a computer together is easier than putting a model car together. Fewer pieces. :D

Seriously, there's almost nothing to it. A couple of hours (max), a Phillips screwdriver, and you have a brand spanking new computer. It will take longer to install your OS and apps than it will to build it.

Post your budget and what you want to be able to do with it and someone will slap together a parts list.

Oh, and I know there are some tutorials posted around here... somewhere...

Honestly it really is not that hard I am sure there is a really easy step by step process for newbies. I mean unless you rub your feel all over the carpet or drop your parts from a decent height, you should be okay. If your wanting to get into building computers now might be the time because things are only going to get more complicated. There is something to be said about building your own computer though because you know what went into it and you know how it works when you want to upgrade. If you are really that worried that you have bad luck or something and think this is not for you, yeah you could buy one pre built. However they usually cost more and are not quite as much fun to mess with. Just my thoughts if you decide you want to do a build I know I will gladly help you with whatever I can and I am sure there are alot of other people on here that would help you out.

building is the best way to go, just read your instruction manuals, and you will be fine, there is a guide on these forums to, just dont kno where, but that is why we have the search bar.

Wow i thought i was gonna be blasted for asking a stupid question. thanks for the replys guys. Building it doesn't sound to bad. Its OS/Bios that will get me!

$1000 Budget-Mainly gaming rig
AMD/ATI-preferred...not set in stone
Vista
3870x2 maybe???
upgradeable for the future

Like I said in another thread, the hardest part of the whole build for me was: putting the heatsink/fan on because of the clip style it used (**** intel-styled clips on the AF7 >.<), and finding out what was what on the front panel hookups (this can be found in the motherboard's manual though, of course). Took me about an hour to an hour and a half. Was a lot of fun...So much fun in fact that when my friend was thinking about buying a computer, I offered to put one together for him (since he was looking for a custom one anyway, for his band since he records his band playing onto his PC/edits it on there).

Wow i thought i was gonna be blasted for asking a stupid question. thanks for the replys guys. Building it doesn't sound to bad. Its OS/Bios that will get me!

AMD/ATI-preferred
3870x2 maybe???

Na it's not a stupid question, just wait if you around here for awhile you will see stupid questions. $1000 dollars will buy you a nice rig these days.

AMD/ATI-preferred
Vista
3870x2 maybe???

Just come back here for any OS/Bios questions you may have.

If I can give you some advice, right now is not a good time to be "AMD/ATI-preferred". If you really want to go that route though, I would like to make you a deal.

One of the hardest things for me on my first build was getting the appropiate amount of thermal paste on the cpu and then attaching the heatsink. I've been wanting to get an Intel CPU for a while now, and since you are doing a new build I would sell my fairly new and perfectly working motherboard/cpu/heatsink and fan all together.

If you bought them all on newegg it would cost you $350 (plus whatever S&H is). I'll let them go already put together for $310 (+ S&H). I save all my documentation and boxes so you will have everything that came with the motherboard.

PM me if interested and we will discuss further details.

*EDIT* Oh, and here are the parts:

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom