XP SATA drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCorsairMalack

Baseband Member
I have a laptop that has two SATA hard drives. I have a copy of winXP Pro that I want to dual boot on the second hard drive (the first has vista).

My problem is that XP doesn't have the drivers for SATA. I've got this nLite program that I've been told can allow me to insert the .inf file of the driver for that chipset into an .iso of the XP cd. My problem is that the driver is an .exe and I can't find it as a .inf anywhere. How can I get it as an .inf or convert it?

Help?

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

Try going into bios, find SATA settings, change from AHCI to Compatibilty. Try booting the XP disk then and see if it will find the drives.

You may also need to check for drivers by looking up what controller and chipset is being used.

It's a Toshiba x205 s7483 I got the driver from their downloads site, it's self installing. I just run it from desktop and WAM! I have the driver. Problem is that I don't want it on that computer, I want it on the other one, which only has SATA hard drives. If I install it from the vista install it will install on only the vista partition and be useless to the XP disc.

I have the one for my chipset. Just having a hard time getting it onto the install disc. EricB mentioned that I can just use Winrar to get the .inf from the .exe. I had no idea you could do that. :banghead:

Thanks guys.

It's a Toshiba x205 s7483 I got the driver from their downloads site, it's self installing. I just run it from desktop and WAM! I have the driver. Problem is that I don't want it on that computer, I want it on the other one, which only has SATA hard drives. If I install it from the vista install it will install on only the vista partition and be useless to the XP disc.

I have the one for my chipset. Just having a hard time getting it onto the install disc. EricB mentioned that I can just use Winrar to get the .inf from the .exe. I had no idea you could do that. :banghead:

Thanks guys.

what the name of the computer that needs a sata driver?

Ok, i have a similar Toshiba, i did not find any options in the BIOS like i mentioned... Do you still have windows installed on it (vista?) We can identify the right chipset, download the INF drivers and either include it on a CD or use a USB Floppy.

Identify:
Intel® Chipsets - Identifying your Intel® chipset

This has chipset drivers:
Download Search Results

Once you have the right chipset drivers, you can include them in the WinXP install CD. I've attached a .zip file with the instructions within it. You should have to drop the drivers in 2 directories (\i386 and \$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\SATA) then follow the rest of the instruction on burning the CD.

The easy way of course would be a USB floppy drive.

I haven't tried this method myself since i'm actually configuring this for Toshiba for someone else, but when i'm done i'll give it a go. Let me know if you're having any problems or if this works out for you. I'll try to post my results soon.

Attachments

• WinXP_SATA_drivers_4install_blank.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 29
Ok, i have a similar Toshiba, i did not find any options in the BIOS like i mentioned... Do you still have windows installed on it (vista?) We can identify the right chipset, download the INF drivers and either include it on a CD or use a USB Floppy.

Identify:
Intel® Chipsets - Identifying your Intel® chipset

This has chipset drivers:
Download Search Results

Once you have the right chipset drivers, you can include them in the WinXP install CD. I've attached a .zip file with the instructions within it. You should have to drop the drivers in 2 directories (\i386 and \$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\SATA) then follow the rest of the instruction on burning the CD.

The easy way of course would be a USB floppy drive.

I haven't tried this method myself since i'm actually configuring this for Toshiba for someone else, but when i'm done i'll give it a go. Let me know if you're having any problems or if this works out for you. I'll try to post my results soon.

a usb drive won't work for xp. you need to integrate it or use the flopppy

Eric is right. You have to use a floppy or slipstream them. Use nlite or Eric guide on how to keep XP working to get this done.

Also check your BIOS. See if you have the SATA HDD's set to ACHI or IDE. If they are ACHI turn them to IDE. You should be able to install XP then.

EXT USB Floppy won't work with XP? Hmm.. i know i've used it with Win2000 and 20003... is XP different? I've also read forums where others used an external floppy for XP.. or so they claim :)

Also, i did not see any options in the BIOS for the SATA settings... TheCorsairMalack, let me know if you find something on yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom