My Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool462

Baseband Member
Hi.

For no apparent reason my computer stopped working.

Yesterday, i left home and left my computer on, never had any problems.

i get home today, and i see my monitor is off with its light blinking. but my computer is still running.

So i press the power button to turn it off. then i press it again, and the computer starts up, the monitor stays off, and instead of a short beep from computer speaker, i get a much longer one.

But the point is the monitor is off and at first i thought over heated maybe, because we had a very stinking hot day today?

but its cooled down now and it still does the same thing, so any help would be nice, thanks.

THESE MAY SOUND STUPID BUT WORTH A SHOT ... WORKED FOR ME

try tightening all the connectors.
Remove the RAM and Rub the Pins of the RAM with an eraser
Try to unplug all the devices including mouse and keyboard. (Sometimes due to a component PC fails to boot due to faulty component)
Just connect the Monitor and try to turn on the Pc

and can u tell more about the problem?

hey.

tried what you said but nothing worked. unplugged everything from back, wiped RAM contacts made sure everything was connected inside the case.

tried to turn it on using only power cord and monitor cord. didn't work.

there is not much more to say about the problem sorry.

can the graphics card be causing the problem? the unnaturally long beep (and once every 5 or so tries, no beep at all)?
Its a GeForce 6600GT 128mb PCI-E 16x. no other gfx cards to test on and mobo doesn't have onboard graphics.
Thanks.

Usually when u have a long beep it tends to be a prob with the power supply, i had a prob like that it happened when i placed one of the screws in the wrong place and it was touching the board underneath.

but ihaven't done anything to my computer power supply or even opened up my comp in a long time. is it possible for the PSU to just not work anymore?

the fan in it still whirrs away. but i don't know if its working or not.

i was thinking i should reset the bios.

i'm looking at my mobo book and it shows how to clear the cmos using the jumpers, and BIOS protection on/off.

should i clear cmos? and take bios protecton off before this?

dont worry didnt work. any other help before i consider testing a new power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom