Choosing Between CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hello All,

I am trying to help my friend purchase a low budget computer and I wanted an expert opinion on these two computers:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I know that generally Intel Core 2 duo is a better processor than AMDs X2, but I wasn't sure if that had a limit. For example, in this situation is the E4400 better than the X2 5000+? Basically what I plan on giving her the options of is a choice between these two:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

and the winner of the above decision. This way, I give her a less expensive model, and two decent models (one with XP and one with Vista). Her max price is $600 so I thought that these would work very well, since we have no opportunity to build/OC.

Thanks in advance for the help.

According to this review E4400 performs almost as good as 4800+, so it is faster than 4200+ but slightly slower than 5000+

EDIT: I have just checked the review again and it seems that E4400 performs better than 5000+ in non-gaming applications like Word, Excel, photoshop, video and Audio editing etc

Since you are not a gamer, Core 2 Duo E4400 would be the best choice for you

However, you can build a computer better than any of the pre-built computers you posted and it will cost you much less

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - SIGMA La Vie LBYWBP Leather Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail

Newegg.com - Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

This cost you $385 only and it has 30$ in rebates

If you want to get an OS, it would cost around $100 more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom