Comments Please - 1 modem, 2 Routers, 2 Networks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeJoe

Beta member
My company needs to separate our single network into two separate networks due to splitting company. We have a dsl internet. I need to know if it is possible to do the following configuration and have it work.

1. Have the DSL Modem go into a Hub
2. Have Two Wireless Routers connected into the Hub
3. Have the routers communicate to the modem through the Hub

By doing this configuration would it be possible to share the same dsl internet while keeping two networks separated from each other?

Will there be any conflicts or problems?

Our ISP allows 1 Dynamic IP

Any feedback on this configuration would be appreciated.

Ummm well first of all like you are suspecting , you only get one ip from the isp , so a hub will not work after the modem. You need something with NAT. Possibly a router in bridge mode with NAT still enabled if possible, then 2 APs plugged into the router. The APs (access points) will need to be configured in a way that they broadcast a unique SSID so that your w/s can select which to connect to. If tou have a domain with AD you possibly could create a policy to keep the user from changing the wifi settings ( trying to connect to the other network) ,,, if peer to peer the clients may roam.

..actually you could just use a router in router mode, then plug 2 APs into it with different SSIDs. ..or use the a wireless router and one AP.

I know about computers, but networking I am a bit green on. Could you please explain a little bit more in detail. The network is a pier to pier, no server.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom