Windows XP Media Center repair install

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ethernet lines in the port might be broke. I've seen that happen before. just pop a new pci card in. it might cost you 8 bucks.

your restore disc will still work if you use powermax if all of the files are on it like an hp or sony system. I don't think a dell will because it depends of the recovery partition

I have tried the card in different slots. I am currently formatting with an XP Pro disk and going to install that and see what happens. Can't hurt right?

No, but this is a new NIC. Odds are it is good. I know it's possible for it to be bad, but unlikely.

I had one instance of somebody had a electrical surge and for some reason their nic card wouldn't work. it was wierd, because no nic card would work whether it was onboard or outboard. I ended up replacing the mobo.

before I would replace the mobo, I would at least try another card to rule out a defective card

Well, I removed the NIC, removed the video card, removed the modem and put in ONLY the NIC and it worked. I am thinking maybe the surge damaged the PCI interface somehow and it won't allow more than one PCI device?? Dunno, but it is working now. Very strange.

Well, I removed the NIC, removed the video card, removed the modem and put in ONLY the NIC and it worked. I am thinking maybe the surge damaged the PCI interface somehow and it won't allow more than one PCI device?? Dunno, but it is working now. Very strange.

I know the feeling. she really needs a new mobo

I updated windows, made sure her AVG was updated and working correctly, put Open Office on there and took it to her and collected my money. Not my problem now. No warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom