2 problems 1 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonshudo

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I just built this new computer

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
drive: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
hdd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320820A 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
8800gt 512mb
2g ballistix
q6600
hx520

There seems to be 2 different problem things that happen.

1. Happening anywhere from the moment I turn my computer on up until hours after I have been using it, the monitor, keyboard, and possibly other things lose signal. As soon as this happens the cd drive starts to make a clicking noise and flashes its light.

2. Happening anywhere from the login screen on vista up until a few minutes later a loud continuous beep starts to sound and doesn't go away til i shutdown.

Both of these problems keep happening, somewhat randomly, but never give me enough time to even use my computer for more than 10 minutes usually if I'm lucky.

I did connect the hdd and optical drive on one IDE cable and had to set them the opposite of the actual cabling to make them reach and because my mobo only has one IDE slot.(made the actually cabling and jumpers different). I was told this would still work if need be but that it might cause problems. So because of the optical drive making noise it leads me to believe my IDE setup thing is the problem, atleast for problem #1

If anyone has or any help or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

With the build here I simply stuffed the cd writer right above the ide in the bottom 5 1/4" bay and slaved the optical. The dvd burner then sits above that being a sata drive there. The two 500gb sata hard drvies under the ide to take advantage of the pair of 120mm front intake fans seen on the Antec 900 model case.

The constant beep code on the other hand points at a hardware problem as far as the board is concerned. The Specifications for that model indicate the AWARD bios there for lookin up the specific error code. GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Sure it's one continuous beep or a constantly repeating hi-low, hi-low beep code? A continous hi pitched beep code points at a cpu overheating while a repeating hi-low points at cpu failure.

Award BIOS Beep Codes

Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.

BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

BIOS Beep Codes

Before panic about that know that there are quite a few versions of the Award bios to consider. The long continuous single beep can readily point at memory as the likely cause. Bios Beep Codes

The wrong memory for that model board or faulty dimms will cause a number of issues. That along with something misconfigured might see the clicking sound from a drive being constantly accessed like the incorrect jumper setting.

With the build here I simply stuffed the cd writer right above the ide in the bottom 5 1/4" bay and slaved the optical. The dvd burner then sits above that being a sata drive there. The two 500gb sata hard drvies under the ide to take advantage of the pair of 120mm front intake fans seen on the Antec 900 model case.

Sorry I can't really understand what you said there...maybe you can re-word it.

The constant beep code on the other hand points at a hardware problem as far as the board is concerned. The Specifications for that model indicate the AWARD bios there for lookin up the specific error code. GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Sure it's one continuous beep or a constantly repeating hi-low, hi-low beep code? A continous hi pitched beep code points at a cpu overheating while a repeating hi-low points at cpu failure.

Award BIOS Beep Codes

Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.

BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

BIOS Beep Codes

Before panic about that know that there are quite a few versions of the Award bios to consider. The long continuous single beep can readily point at memory as the likely cause. Bios Beep Codes

The wrong memory for that model board or faulty dimms will cause a number of issues. That along with something misconfigured might see the clicking sound from a drive being constantly accessed like the incorrect jumper setting.

It is an ear shattering high pitch 1 continuous beep. When i run core temp, the highest I have ever seen one of the cores was 45 degrees and I think that was when playing ut04. So I don't it could be cpu overheating. I'm going to order a new sata optical drive anyway and rma this one anyway just to be safe.

A beep code is for some hardware found on the board itself not any drive whether optical or hard drive while a bad drive will pull power down. With the three 5 1/4" drive bays here I installed the floppy drive in an adapter in the top bay with the sata dvd burner in the second and ide cd writer under that in the last.

With the cd drive and ide hard drive right under it in the top 3 1/2" bay plugging in the round ide cable was made simple there. The hard drive still remains the master by simply folding the cable to some extent.

Bad gearing in the optical drive would likely be the sound being heard there. The actual cost for cd and dvd drives has dropped quite a bit over the years since they were first introduced. They run from about $20-$30 for a burner while rom drives can be found cheaper.

That beep code suggests trying each dimm separately to see if you ended up with a bad dimm. Your sig show 2gb being 2x1gb or 4x512s there? But finding out about the memory or something else should be first.

Sounds that way doesn't it? But when hearing a beep code often memory, cpu, or the video card are the most common hardwares seeing a fault of some type. Mismatching memory can also trigger the audio alerts.

A beep code is for some hardware found on the board itself not any drive whether optical or hard drive while a bad drive will pull power down. With the three 5 1/4" drive bays here I installed the floppy drive in an adapter in the top bay with the sata dvd burner in the second and ide cd writer under that in the last.

With the cd drive and ide hard drive right under it in the top 3 1/2" bay plugging in the round ide cable was made simple there. The hard drive still remains the master by simply folding the cable to some extent.

Unfortunately my ide cable is not long enough inbetween the master/slave connectors to be able to do that.

Bad gearing in the optical drive would likely be the sound being heard there. The actual cost for cd and dvd drives has dropped quite a bit over the years since they were first introduced. They run from about $20-$30 for a burner while rom drives can be found cheaper.

Yea I ordered a new one so hopefully that will fix the problem.

That beep code suggests trying each dimm separately to see if you ended up with a bad dimm. Your sig show 2gb being 2x1gb or 4x512s there? But finding out about the memory or something else should be first.

its 2x1gb. I moved them around on the mobo just for the **** of it and so far haven't had any problems. But then again the problems happen at very random times, sometimes not for a long time.

This seems a little weird, but whenever i don't have the side of the case on I dont think ive ever experienced a problem. I don't know for sure but Im fairly certain thats the case(no pun). I'm sure just a coincidence though.

SapperX: Just wanted to say that the title is hilarious. 10/10

lol thanks. I was very tempted to put "2 problems 1 computer.com" but I did want to present myself in a somewhat mature manner.

One reason I invest in a good brand round cable is to see options on length as well as quality. But even with ribbon cables you can see them in differnent lengths. I suspect you used those that came with the board or simply had onhand there.

I'm glad to see you have a replacement optical on the way there. Every time someone wants me to look over some older prebuilt or even a custom case I often hear "click click click" when first going to open the cd rom or other optical model installed. Bad drive needing replacement first. :rolleyes:

Hopefully by swapping dimm slots the memory was finally seated down good. That would be one reason for the error code for memory being heard at random times rather then always. The intermittency with contacts and hopefully not one of the slots themselves.

I figured you were running a pair of 1gb dimms but had to ask anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom