Harddrives. Which to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright people!

I finally ordered my HDD. I got the SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 160GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB.
It turned out to be $197 CA after tax/shipping/insurance. That is $150 dollars US. I got it from NCIX.com btw.

Honestly tell me if that is a good price for the HDD. And what do you guys think of the HDD.

PersianMafia said:
Now, to set this up here are my drives:
80GB SATA Seagate (OS HDD)
200GB X (Mass storage of music/movies)
DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

Whats the best way to hook these three up?

Congrats on your new purchase PersianMafia.

Set the 80 GB as Master on IDE channel #1. Set the DVD-RW combo drive as Master on channel #2. For the new HDD you just bought you can set it as Slave on either channel.

There is an excellent tutorial on the Hardware zone forum done by MicroBell on how to install a SATA drive. You might want to check it out.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17936

BTW, the RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization - just standard lingo that companies use whenever you need to return a defective item.

World renouned author Scott Mueller, who has wrote such books as "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" and "Upgrading and Repairing Laptops" states on pages 634 and 635 of Upgrading and Repairing PCs 15th Edition, and I quote:

"The transfer rate is probably more important to overall system performance than any other statistic, but it is also one of the most misunderstood specifications. The problem stems from the fact that several transfer rates can be specified for a given drive; however, the most important of these is usually overlooked.

The confusion results from the fact that drive manufacturers can report up to seven different transfer rates for a given drive. Perhaps the lease important (but one that people seem to focus on the most) is the raw interface transfer rate, which for most modern ATA drives is either 100MBps or 133MBps, or 150MBps for Serial ATA drives. Unfortunately, few people seem to realize that the drives actually read and write data much more slowly than that. The more important transfer rate specifications are the media transfer rates, which express how fast a drive can actually read or write data. Media transfer rates can be expressed as a raw maximum, a raw minimum, a formatted maximum, formatted minimum, or averages of either. Few report the averages, but they can be easily calculated.

[...]

Let's look at a specific drive as an example. The Hitachi (formerly IBM) Deskstar 120GXP is considered a fast ATA drive. It spins at 7,200rpm and supports the ATA/100 interface transfer rate (Ultra DMA Mode 5, which is 1000MBps from the drive controller to the motherboard host adapter). As with all drives I know of, the actual (media) transfer rate is much less.
Code:
Media Zone | Sectors/Track | Rotational Speed | Transfer Rate |
Outer Zone |        928    |     7,200rpm     |    57.02MBps  |
Inner Zone |        448    |         " "      |    27.53MBps  |
Average    |        688    |         " "      |    62.27MBps  |
As you can see, the true transfer rate for this drive is between 57.02MBps and 27.53MBps, or an average of about 42.27MBps--Less than half of the ATA/100 interface transfer rate. Of course if this were your own drive you wouldn't be disappointed because 42.27MBps is excellent performance. In fact, this is one of the fastest ATA drives on the market. Many other ATA drives would have equal or slower performance."

As you can see, having a SATA drive really doesn't add to performance boost. I would still get one simply because the transition from PATA to SATA is gradual but eminent. SATA has a nice, small, thin cable that provides better airflow. This is really the only difference they may have on your system :p

Yo Crazy Beans thank for sharing but the discussion has moved on from debating what kind of speed he's gonna get w/ his SATA drive. He's already purchased one and needs help installing it. Let's keep the thread moving in a coherent direction.

crazybeans said:
it was general knowledge that everyone should know. Figured this was a good spot to post it...

I wasn't necessarily slammin ya for posting it. In fact, it's not off-topic. I was trying to keep the focus of the thread on the forefront. (i.e. helping him w/ the installation of new drive).

I've just seen too many threads lately veering off course is all. I don't mind you posting ... in fact you could have posted a new thread of it.

Sounds like you're a newbie to internet forums. Generally speaking when you post articles like that, the members appreciate it when you post a link along w/ the article you read. That way they can read the article in fully themselves.

Cheers.

Yeah, I am kinda new but not THAT new. Maybe a couple months into it. I usually do post links to articles but I don't think it's possible to create a link to a book I have sitting on my desktop :p That's why I added the information such as the page number, etc. incase someone wanted to check out the book at the library or if they have the book. Scott Mueller is pretty popular and has the number one selling book on upgrading and repairing PCs selling over 2.2 million copies. Check some of my other posts and you'll see that I try to add a link to things that are linkable lol. I do see your point though on topics veering off course. Seems to happen alot here, but for the most part the questions get answered and people learn a thing or two. That's the fun of it. Anyways, I'm sure I'll hear from you again. Take it easy.

ok here's my current situation:

Got one 80gb SATA hdd with all my data but its registry is messed up so I cant access it unless through the os of another hard drive.

And I have one 160GB SATA for storage.

Now in order for me to transfer my music/videos from the 80 gb to the 160, I will need to have a middle man harddrive right? So I'm thinking of installing xp temporarily on a 2gb PATA hdd and using the OS on that drive to transfer the music/movies from the 80gb to the 160, then formating the 80gb and putting a fresh install of XP on it. Of course, before I use my new 160gb I need to format it right? The Windows XP Pro format is good enough right? You just exit the installation after XP has formated the drive correct?

Or should I format the 160gb through XP on the 2gb drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom