4 Terabyte Storage Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonOle

In Runtime
Hi everyone.

I have somewhere around 800 movie DVDs and id like to store them on a hard drive. I would need around 4TB

Now i know there isnt a 4TB hard drive yet but i know you can connect 4x1TBs to work as 1 hard drive (RAID0)

So is this a good idea? Id like to use it through a USB2.0 connection on my PC

Does anyone know where i can find some of these for europe and what a good price is?

Thanks

well i would say put them into your pc and use them as separate HDD's, got a friend that has 5TB and he did the thing your suggesting with the usb but he han nothing but problems

so i would say put them into your pc instead of a usb one, separate HDD's are your friend

the only website i know (in the uk) that have 1TB HDD's is aria.co.uk but there £173.25 each to buy where you can get a 750GB HDD's for £120 - £130 and 500GB for about £70 so why not save some money on getting them

overclockers UK and CCL do em i think...

best bet is to get 6x500GB HDDs and RAID them up - cheaper, and very fast in RAID 0 (but u only get 3TB - tho im sure u can use the word only when talking about 3TB :p)

4x 1TB in RAID 0 is a good amount of storage and fast for re-writing. I suggest that you use RAID 5 as it is more stable in case of a drive failure. When you are dealing with 4 drives, you are guaranteed to have one fail eventually and parity becomes an issue. I doubt you will want to copy all your DVDs over when one drive fails..

If you get anything RAID 5 would be the best. You'll lose one drive for parity, but in the long run you will have much more stable storage.

You may want to take a look at different hot-swap external enclosures. I think that Buffalo makes one that is expandable. It may be what you want. It allows drives to run and RAID, and be connected externally. Truly there are tons of those, but I feel that some of the Buffalo ones may be the best choice.

RAID5 on a motherboard would have rubbish write speeds though. RAID0 is risky if a drive goes.

I did something similar with my dvd collection. 5x750gb in raid5 so that if i lose one drive i'm not screwed.

I've got 4 x 750GB, 1 x 320GB and a 74GB Raptor drive
I use them all as single drives.
I don't use RAID, mainly because it takes effort to set-up. And because I don't really need them to be faster.

Plus, I get a lot of speed from my Raptor anyway, for the things I do need more speed for.
Hi everyone.

I have somewhere around 800 movie DVDs and id like to store them on a hard drive. I would need around 4TB

Now i know there isnt a 4TB hard drive yet but i know you can connect 4x1TBs to work as 1 hard drive (RAID0)

So is this a good idea? Id like to use it through a USB2.0 connection on my PC

Does anyone know where i can find some of these for europe and what a good price is?

Thanks
it-outlet.eu - HD SATAII 1TB SEAGATE ST31000340AS 7200rpm 32MB HD01000
Seagate 7200.11 drives are very fast, and very good quality drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom