Need help removing Firewire PCI card

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ EndurancE

In Runtime
Okay, I'm wanting to move an IEEE Firewire PCI card from an older computer to my new one. I have the driver CD for the new installation, but I'd like to know if there are any other steps I should take before removing the card from the older computer. :confused:

I've never really swapped hardware before, so I just wanted to be sure.;)

ok, everything you have is fine, you will need a screw driver (preferably a non-magnetic one :)) remove the power cord from your old pc, remove the cover, unscrew the little screw which is holding the card into the PCI slot, pull out the card (don't force it but it won't help being to gentle with it either ;))then do the same with the new computer, remove the power cable, remove cover, unscrew the cover of the PCI slot so there is a gap for your Firewire card to go in, push the card firmly into the slot, scew it in, cover back on, power in and away you go

Actually, I have completely taken apart old computers that didn't work any more, like old Windows 3.1 and 95 machines. No hard drives or RAM though, so they weren't operational. :freak:

Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I was supposed to do in BIOS, or Device Manager before removing the card.

But thanks a lot, I'll see if I can change it over today. :)

sorry, i thought you meant you didnt know much about the insides of computers lol. You wont have to do anything to the BIOS or device manager before you remove or add hardware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom