free open source imaging software

Status
Not open for further replies.

servo.tsc

In Runtime
I am planning to take my main computer to vista shortly. Just in case things don't go well i would like to have a quick way of going back to xp. Can any one recommend some kinds of imaging software that s free and will work in this case. I don't have a server to back up the image to but can back up to another pc depending on how much space the image takes up.
Thank you

The free ones dont work that good. You will have to cough up some money to do this. Eric has one that is free and is good as well. But you will have to get it from him. The rest like Acronis and Ghost are your best options and they are not free.

I've been experimenting with hidden partition imaging. I found:
Partition Saving. I got this to work perfectly with Linux. Earlier tests showed that my destination drive cannot be NTFS (when saving image); FAT32 worked ok. I'm actually about to do a windows XP test to see if it works with NTFS.

I tested Norton Ghost 12 which is easy to use (GUI). Worked fast and flawless. Haven't tried Acronis yet. Advantage with Ghost is that you can transfer the image to a virtual image for use with VMWare's Player. I suppose that Acronis can do the same for Virtuozzo VPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom