Upgrade using a 45nm Core2 Duo - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonC

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm not too experienced with buying computer hardware, so I was hoping I could get some opinions on what I so far plan on getting. It's not a complete upgrade, but it's 3 important components. Just mainly want to know that all three match and will work together.

Also note, I'm in Australia so prices will vary from what you're familiar with I suppose, hence why I haven't bothered linking anything, but these parts pretty much come flush with what I can afford.

At the moment the three components I'm buying are Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I was going to get a standard Core2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz (Conroe 1333mhz) Processor but today this 45nm chip popped up on the site for pretty much the same price. It is also a 3.0ghz instead of 2.66... I assume that even without full 45nm support this CPU is a little superior.

This is what I've come up with.

CPU:
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz (1333mhz) Processor, Dual core LGA775 45nm 6mb cache

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3-V2 LGA775 M/B, 1333FSB, PCI-E x16, PCI-E x1, 3x PCI/PCI-E x1, 6x SATA, GigaLAN, Audio

GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DS3 (rev. 2.0)

RAM:
Corsair Twin2X 2048MB 240-pin DDR2 XMS2-6400 Twin Pack (2x 1024mb sticks) w/heat spreader, 4-4-4-12

any thoughts would be great thanks :) this components research has been doing my head in.

Yeah, bus speed (1333mhz) is correct, voltage is correct, slot type is correct. Everything should be fine. But OMG, 6mb l2 cache is HUGE!!! That thing should run extremely fast with the cache. The bus speed is nice too.

thanks everyone :)

yeah this cpu has 6mb (3mb per core) rather than 4mb on the e6750.. Figure that can only be a good thing

Cheers I'll probably be ordering the parts soon then.

No, it is not 3MB per core. The 6MB cache is shared, so this means that each core can use up to 6MB cache

Yeah the e8400 and 8500 are available from auspcmarket.com.au .. only in the past couple days.

I ended up going back to my original choice of the E6750 because of the unknowns and probable lack of bios compatibility with the new 45nm chips. It was just a bit risky, but I'm not too worried with the performance drop, I wasn't planning on overclocking or anything anyway.

It'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom