Q6600 - SpeedFan - CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
How accurate is the CPU readout from SpeedFan? It seemed to be correct, but I was just running Prime95 (small FFT's/4 threads) and all the cores were staying at 66/60*C in CoreTemp but the CPU reading in SpeedFan shot up to 116*C!! Scared the **** out of me as I didn't notice for a while since I was just watching the CoreTemp readouts. Should I be worried?

No. In my opinion speedfan has a tendency to read or give bogus readings. Core Temp or Everest, is my choice for temperature monitoring.

I tried speedfan with my Q6600 and I did not trust it. It gave me weird readings that moved around alot. I went back to Core Temp which seems very accurate.

Everest doesn't show the CPU temperature and neither does CoreTemp...at least the version I have (everest). I can only see the individual cores temps accurately, what program will read the Tcase temp?

Everest doesn't show the CPU temperature and neither does CoreTemp...at least the version I have (everest). I can only see the individual cores temps accurately, what program will read the Tcase temp?

Why do you care so much about the lable on it?

Just watch all the cores and if YOU REALLY care what the CPU temp is you can average all four cores together...

Coretemp>Speedfan.

Furthermore if any one core hit 100C or over your computer would have turned off... This is why speedfans sucks, more incaccurate than other programs.
Anyways, your temps are fine, I have hit 82C during prime95 when ambient was 60F.

Quad cores can get very hot without there being problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Why do you care so much about the lable on it?

Just watch all the cores and if YOU REALLY care what the CPU temp is you can average all four cores together...

Coretemp>Speedfan.

Furthermore if any one core hit 100C or over your computer would have turned off... This is why speedfans sucks, more incaccurate than other programs.
Anyways, your temps are fine, I have hit 82C when it has been warm outside..

Well there's two different temps I should be watching for, Tcase and Tjunction. CoreTemp gives me the temps I need for Tjunction, and Speedfan gives me the one I need for Tcase...except it seems it goes haywire sometimes. And Tcase isn't just an average of all 4 cores, it's a completely seperate sensor with a seperate temperature limit.

I'm just trying to get a good overclock and have it be safe. Only problem is, anytime the cores temps hit 70*C they seem to get unstable and start failing whatever tests i'm running...even though they're supposedly good for up to 100*C.

100C+ is around the threshold area, not for operating on a daily basis. 71C I've heard, should be the max for daily use. But I'd like to keep it at least 10 degrees below that.

Right, and for what I use it for temperatures never even see 60*C on the cores at full gaming load.

I wonder about the truth to that 71*C for daily use though. Because 71*C is the max Tcase temperature, sounds to me like someone misinterpreted that for the Tjunction? I don't know, in any event I too like my temps well below that.

I'm just trying to get a good overclock and have it be safe. Only problem is, anytime the cores temps hit 70*C they seem to get unstable and start failing whatever tests i'm running...even though they're supposedly good for up to 100*C.

Just to clarify for any future viewers, the problem I was having when they went near 70 had to do with my memory timings being too tight. Loosened them up and it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom