Thinking About ordering 8800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
Well I was thinking about getting the G92 8800GTS, but spending that much on a card right now doesn't seem like a good move to me considering that the 9 Series may be around the corner. Would it be a good idea to just order a standard (not OCd) Evga 8800gt for $270, see what's up with the 9 Series, and step up to one if they are any good? Because I could use the extra money I saved to get another HDD to set up RAID 0, or I could buy some faster RAM. What do you think? To me I'd feel safer getting a GT and just chill for 90 days and see what happens. And plus maybe I could get lucky and not have to pay much at all to step up.

Having gone from a GT to the new GTS, i'd say the extra money is well spent. You get better cooling, more pixel shaders, better overclocking, and a copy of crysis if you order the evga model.

I don't normally advise playing the waiting game, but some new GPUs are due out at the end of January. This might knock current prices down...

Ok I guess I can wait till the end of january. How heavily do you think the current 8800s will be discounted by then?

Well I just read this: [H] Enthusiast - NVIDIA GPU Roadmap Outline for 1H08

According to that, the 9800 Series might not be out until March. That seems too long for me. That sounds like playing the waiting game also. I'd like to grab an 8800GT 512mb now just to be able to max out what I have. And when the 9800s come out, I can step up after 90 days without spending a ton of money.

you guys upgrade too often.. lol :)

Well at this point I do need a new video card as my current one is a major bottleneck in my system. And 90 days between an 8800GT and a newer card isn't very long, but at least I'm getting my full money's worth by sending back the 8800GT rather than trying to get a decent price for it on ebay or a friend.

Well at this point I do need a new video card as my current one is a major bottleneck in my system. And 90 days between an 8800GT and a newer card isn't very long, but at least I'm getting my full money's worth by sending back the 8800GT rather than trying to get a decent price for it on ebay or a friend.

People are paying high prices for it on ebay, you could literally buy one and sell it for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom