I can see my CDBurner in Explorer, but not the discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disksko

Baseband Member
Hi,
I have a relatively new CD burner (off brand, maybe Memorex?) that has not worked properly in a long time. I think it has to do with the IDE cable, or how the cable is set up.

I believe the burner is the slave (the IDe cable goes from the regular CD-ROM to the motherboard, with the CD-Burner plugged in between the two).

The regular CD ROM reads perfect, but the Burner does not read blank or written discs...nothing.

I do see both drive letters in Windows Explorer.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance!
Ben.

Does the burner read regular disks? Music CDs? Or anything at all?

try changing the pin to Cable Select.

Hi,
thanks for the reply!

The unit does not read any CDs whatsoever.

When I changed to "cable select" and restarted, the PC got stuck in the first black screen (Win XP) saying "secondary drive failed", so I put it back.

I made a mistake in the original post: "I believe the burner is the slave (the IDe cable goes from the regular CD-ROM to the motherboard, with the CD-Burner plugged in between the two)."

The burner IS in plugged in the middle, but the pin is set as MASTER....while the CD-ROM is at the end of the cable, as SLAVE.

Does this change anything?

Again, I do see the drive letter in My Computer....but not reading any discs...

Thanks!
Ben.

Hi,
any ideas...please. Need to backup my hard drive soon. Well, like a year ago, actually.

Thanks again,
Ben.

Try to unplug the CD player and just run the burner just to test it out. . Also if it booted up and shows the burner but wont read it would either be a bad cable or the burner is toast!
At least there cheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom