Partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugo82

In Runtime
I have 2 hard drives in my computer, one for the OS and one for storage.
After reformating c: to put on a fresh OS, the partition seems to have been lost on my storage drive.

This has resulted in not being able to access the drive. Does anyone know what might have happened and whether there is a way to get access to the files again?

Thanks,
Hugo

Ps. I'm assuming this is a software issue since i can still see the harddrive from the BIOS setup.

You could have lost your partition tables when you formatted to re-install the OS.

Just cause you see the drive in the BIOS doesnt mean you see the partitions. The paritions are created but not recognized by the BIOS. So it isnt software related in that sense.

Do you see hte partition if you go Right Click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management

Is the partition still there just not active? If so make it active if not and the drive is just one big drive then you lost your partition tabkes and potentially your data on there as well.

I am not currently at my computer so cannot check disk management. However, did try to run partition magic to see whether the volume was still there. Partition magic failed to load due to a problem with EZ drive??

Not sure whether the problems are related but i will try the disc management when i get to it.

If the partition tables have gone down, can they be rebuilt?

Thanks

They can be rebuilt but with the constant access to the drive and the constant install of apps and other things you are potentially losing data here.

Just to warn you. I mean instlaling all your software and other thigns could have the possibility of writing over the data that was stored on teh data partition if it was indeed lost.

It is my 2nd hard drive which has the problem rather than my C: drive.
Does that mean that i can rebuild the table on my hard drive without the loss of data? Also, how would i go about doing this?

Well there is still a chance of data loss. Anytime a partiton is lost there is gonna be some data loss. Sadly.

There are plenty of apps out there that can recover some and possilby all of the data.

To get the partitions back just create them again with Partition Magic or from within the Disk Management.

Thanks, i'll check out the disk management and if the partition is down then i'll create a new one.

When the partition has been built again i guess the data (what's left) will just be accessed as normal afterwards.

Thanks again. Hopefully i'll manage to keep most files!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom