Windows Server 2003 internet connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulinnorway

Baseband Member
Hi,

A few days ago my server installed a Windows Update (it was a Service Pack update, I wasn't really paying attention to which number).
Anyway, the following day my server won't connect to the internet. I'm guessing that the Windows Update perhaps changed a setting that I am unaware of. Since I know very little about servers I'm a bit nervous to change things in case I make everything worse.

Anyone got any ideas?

Well unless you have not updated your Server since March of 2005 it is not a SP that was downlaoded.

So go into Windows Update and see what updates were installed recently and maybe from there we can figure out which one caused this.

Well unless you have not updated your Server since March of 2005 it is not a SP that was downlaoded.

So go into Windows Update and see what updates were installed recently and maybe from there we can figure out which one caused this.
Thanks for the reply.
I can't go to Windows Update because the internet connection isn't working. When I look in the Control Panel I just find "Automatic Updating" which doesn't give me any info. However, when I go to "System Properties" I can see it says:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition
Service Pack 2

Does that help?

Well kinda. Means that my first search was off. Since the search only provided me with SP1 info not SP2 info.

But there was no patches issued out this week. That isnt until next week. So it seems that your updates are off. Check your schedule for updates how often do you update your server? Do you ahve it set to update automatically every day? Or do you force the update?

Well kinda. Means that my first search was off. Since the search only provided me with SP1 info not SP2 info.

But there was no patches issued out this week. That isnt until next week. So it seems that your updates are off. Check your schedule for updates how often do you update your server? Do you ahve it set to update automatically every day? Or do you force the update?
I have it set to update daily. After they are downloaded I eventually get around to installing the updates, so I'm probably a bit behind.

Okay so they download just not install.

Sadly thru all of my searches from Google to Live to M$ site itself, nothing has come up. HAve you tried Safe Mode? Is there any other updates that you applied?

Okay so they download just not install.

Sadly thru all of my searches from Google to Live to M$ site itself, nothing has come up. HAve you tried Safe Mode? Is there any other updates that you applied?
The only other thing I can think of was installing utorrent a few days ago. Surely that wouldn't affect things? Besides, the timeing of the problem coincided with the Windows Update, not with the installation of utorrent.
I also go it briefly working yesterday when I noticed that the server time was incorrect, so I changed it to the correct time. That solution didn't last though.

So it oculd be more of a underlying problem rather than just a update problem. With the time being off that could be a CMOS Battery dying in need of replacement. Dont see how that would afect the net. So it could be something totally not related to the updates. the updates could ahve set it off.

Is this a personal server or one located somewhere? Have youlike reset any modems/routers? If that applies.;)

The server is located in an internet cafe. All the other computers are working fine. The network is set up as follows:
Wall socket --> modem --> d-link switch & d-link wireless access point --> server.

I'm wondering if the problem could be something simple in Network Connections. If I knew "normal" settings I might be able to get closer to a solution.

There really isnt any "normal" settings cause it differs from netowrk to netowrk and machine to machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom