First Build!!! Advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VX550 runs on 1 rail rated for 41 amps.

IF you are planning on going for the PCP&C Silencer 610, keep in mind that cable management in the Antec 900 is a fairly difficult task.

unless you mod it ;)

Good info on the number of rails thing... that does make sense, and the 550VX does look like the best buy as far as single rails.
J/W though, what kind of devices use 20a or more? How much amperage does say an 8800 Ultra draw?

Well, I just found the newegg power supply calculator Newegg - Power Supply Calculator
and with normal stuff like 2GB DDR2, 7200HDD, 1 optical drive, a regular motherboard, and an 8800GTX (9800 will surely be more power draw) It recommends a 565w.
If you put it up to 2 DVD-RW's, which I plan to have, it jumps you up to 604w... I might go 4GB ram some day too...

I dunno if the 550VX would be enough? yeah it's single rail, but... ?

Well, I just found the newegg power supply calculator Newegg - Power Supply Calculator
and with normal stuff like 2GB DDR2, 7200HDD, 1 optical drive, a regular motherboard, and an 8800GTX (9800 will surely be more power draw) It recommends a 565w.
If you put it up to 2 DVD-RW's, which I plan to have, it jumps you up to 604w... I might go 4GB ram some day too...

I dunno if the 550VX would be enough? yeah it's single rail, but... ?

here we go again... RAILS MATTER WATTAGE DOESN'T!!! a 800w PSU with 10amps on the 12v rail is still bad compared to a 550w PSU with 41 Rails on it....

the stuff gets powered by the Rail....

so what would you say a 550w single rail PSU is equivilent to in the calculator.. multiple rails wise I guess?

SLI GTS with 4gb ram, 2 dvd rw's, q6600 etc... is saying like 741w... asiming they are assuming multi-rail psu's how much wattage can you add to the single rail to figure? 30%?

550 single rail about equivilent to a 715w 3 rail would you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom