3D Modeling Graphics Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for my work computer. I model 3D interior layouts using SketchUp. The model sizes are getting larger and larger as out project get larger. I'm currently working on a 26MB file that is nearly halfway done. I'm looking to spend around $500 on a new card, most likely a Quaddro because I hear good things. I am having trouble deciding between them though. My current set-up is pretty solid, except is is not built for 3D modeling. Here are my specs.:

HP m7674N
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400
2 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB PCI x16
Dual Monitors

Software:
Windows XP SP2
Sketchup Version 6

I am concerned about what on the surface appears to be a downgrade in GPU speed and memory size. All I can really settle on is that the Quaddro are designed for OpenGL which is what SketchUp uses. Even my current card becomes jittery when processing all of the geometry. PLEASE HELP!!!

PS- All my drivers are up to date. I will also be selling my current card when I buy the new one.

are you having trouble running the program with your current video card?

Yes. I know the programming for Sketchup isn't exactly made for top notch performance, but a strictly OpenGL card should help quite a bit, right? My current card has a delay in drawing the lines in, especially when certain components (groups) are more detailed. I've turned off all of the bells and whistles such as shadows and line extensions, textures, etc. Also, I have to run it at 0x Anti-Alias for it to not get all buggy on me. NOT what I expected from this high end of a card.

I can kinda relate to what your saying. I do sets and storyboards using frameforge 3D studio. When i get more than 20 objects on screen at once it get's really choppy and slow.

Well first of all, that card is not high end. Second of all, its not made for what you want to do. If you get a quadro, then you wont have the problem as those are made for 3d rendering apps.

Newegg.com - PNY VCQFX1700-PCIE-PB Quadro FX1700 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

That should help a lot, but take in consideration that the processor can be affecting it as well. Later on if you can, build a new system and you should be okay for a while.

It's not ultra-high end, but it certainly is not mainstream....but soon it will be given the tech. cycle. But I digress...thanks for the link. My only concern is that 128 bit GDDR2 would be trumped by something that is GDDR3.

It's not ultra-high end, but it certainly is not mainstream....but soon it will be given the tech. cycle. But I digress...thanks for the link. My only concern is that 128 bit GDDR2 would be trumped by something that is GDDR3.

but thats probably the best you can get for around $500, good gddr3 cards designed for 3d modeling are around 1 or 2k....

also look for some ATi FireGL cards too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom