Standby bad for system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black.Ice.

Baseband Member
Is putting my system in standby every night bad for my system and OS?

I usually keep the compy always on but now I can't get to sleep because of all the fans running. Also my mother keeps on raggin' on me that it takes up SO much electricity. I don't want to completely shut down the computer either because I know that will eventually damage the components and OS.

Would leaving it on be better and not skyrocket the utility bill or just putting it in standby?

Thanks

I think that leaving it on would damage and wear out the components faster than leaving it off. Normally, people turn off their computers when they don't use it.

My room PC's (laptop and HP) I turn off at night solely because they make too much noise to sleep through. My basement PC's I leave on 24/7 (my Compaq runs F@H, my other two are old Pentium 1's that run Internet servers). My parents occasionally leave theirs on all night (mainly because they forget to turn it off).

It may wear the components a bit more, but the only things that really wear are the things with mechanical parts (fans, hard drives, etc) and as long as the system stays cool over the long period of time, it should be fine.

As for standby, it won't damage your PC. It's designed to conserve power by turning off unnecessary components, mainly just keeping the RAM alive. However, whoever told you shutting down the PC would damage it is an idiot, sorry, but keeping it off is probably the best thing you can do if you want to protect it. The only reason to not turn it off every night is if you're using it for something (like F@H, which you leave it on) or need to keep what you're working on in RAM (which case you'd use Standby, but even then you could Hibernate, turning off the PC while saving the session to HDD).

Basically, the best thing to do is turn it all the way off (well, don't pull the plug, but shut it down). That conserves the most power and will not wear out any of the parts.

yeah....I guess i'll just put it on standby then. I just don't want to shut it down because people have told me that if your HDD has to keep on booting up the OS everytime you power up, it will eventually wear out or be bad for the OS.

yeah....I guess i'll just put it on standby then. I just don't want to shut it down because people have told me that if your HDD has to keep on booting up the OS everytime you power up, it will eventually wear out or be bad for the OS.

I don't know what people have been telling you but you are SO MISLEAD. Turn off that computer when you don't use it, standby will DAMAGE your computer more than turning it off.

I just leave mine on 24/7 lol. Computer stays cool (its actually cooler by my PC than the rest of the room, so I'll get goosebumps once in a while, or my hands'll be cold xD), so there's not much really to worry about, other than the mechanical weardown of parts (but everything mechanical eventually fails).

I think that leaving it on would damage and wear out the components faster than leaving it off. Normally, people turn off their computers when they don't use it.
I leave both my PC's on 24/7/265.
I don't know what people have been telling you but you are SO MISLEAD. Turn off that computer when you don't use it, standby will DAMAGE your computer more than turning it off.

Actually it is you that is wrong. Turning your PC on and turning it off is what damaes your PC more than anything. The reason for this is you get that constant power surege when you hit thie power switch which everytime you do it, decreases your hardwares life by a small percentage point everytime.

Gratned it will take somewhere like a million shutdowns for it to really effect your system but leaving you PC on gives it the constant power and no surges, unless of course your whole house gets surged. That is why it is also recommended that you use a Surge Protector with your PC. One that is highly rated and can also offer a money back guarentee if it fails.

If you still dont believe me. Take the A+ Core Hardware. This is where it is reviewed. This is where i learned it.

Learnthat.com - A+ Certification: Part 1 - Computer Hardware, System Boards, and Storage Devices - Free Certification Tutorials

It isnt as much a problem today as it was back when PC's first were invented. But the truth of the matter is what i said above.

I have gotten to the point where i leave both my pc's on 24/7 just because its freaking cold in my apt if i dont. Also, makaveli, what do you do for the other 100 days a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom