motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiL3nT

Beta member
hey i have a computer with a kind of old mother board, im not sure on the mother board specs i just know it's old. right now it has an old processor in it, a "amd k-6" with a 167 mhz. what would happen if u were to upgrade it to like a 1ghz processor? would it burn out the motherboard? i've heard it either way some say the motherboard could handle it and others say otherwise.

I would have to know the motherboard, but I would think no, because the only amd 1 ghz processor that i know of is the amd duron. I don't think the duron is compatible with a board that is using a k-6. The k-6 uses the super socket 7 and the duron uses a socket a.

K-6 was slot series, higher are sockets with pins, your motherboard wont work.

and asl well, 1GHz came in both Duron and Athlon (recommended is Athlon)

Sorry!

how do i find my mother board specs? all i see is an orange chip that says "pc 100 SiS 530" on it. Also the new processor is an amd athlon processor. I've already upgraded the memory on this pc and it's still kinda slow, so theres no way the processor is compatable? :(

Nope different socket types, sorry. You could probably find a new motherboard to run that new processor for cheap.

PC 100 is old enough, as if you already upgraded, then i'll recommend buying board GigaByte GA-7ZMMH (i think this is the model) this was my first AMD board, stable and perfect, and as well it'll suport your RAM that are in this PC already.

but Buy 1GHz processor exactlly (not 1.13Ghz as this is on 133 Bus) and your RAM have 100 Bus.

yea.. just get a whole new motherboard!! u should be able to find a socket A motherboard and a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or higher for kinda cheap... sell ur parts, and id just try n go with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom