Memory timings causing PC to not boot at times

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Ok, well right now I have my RAM timings set to auto, and they're autoing to: 5-6-6-17, in a 1:1 ratio w/ my CPU (441 MHz FSB/RAM frequency), and +.2 overvoltage (or is it +0.2...not sure, I'll have to look). So, I changed the timings to 5-5-5-15, and then when I reboot or shutdown, it takes me around 5 tries or so to try to boot up. On bootup it just gets to the part where it says "Memory runs in dual channel" and then doesn't go on to recognize my DVD drives or HDD's. Sometimes it'll get past the DVD recognition, but won't recognize my HDD's so I have to either ctrl-alt-del it there and restart, or try to cold reboot and see if that helps. This is the only time that is messes with my system, because after it gets past that it runs just fine while in Windows and everything else. Any ideas on what it could be and maybe some possible solutions? RAM types are in my sig.

You could probably juice your RAM a little more. I know that my mobo defaults the RAM voltage to 1.8v, and alot of RAM out there calls for 2.2v. So on my mobo, I set my RAM voltage to "+.4v" so it'll take it from 1.8 to 2.2v. Doing this could give your RAM the necessary power it may need to keep stable at 5-5-5-15.

BUT make sure you find out what your mobo is using for the default RAM voltage, and also make sure that you know what voltage your RAM calls for. My example applies to alot of people, but maybe not you.

You realize that is the exact same thing, right?

Maybe try resetting the CMOS? Then reapplying all the settings. You should be able to run 5-5-5-15 with no problem.

Oops, forgot an extra 0 in the other one (was meant to be 0.02) lol.

BUT make sure you find out what your mobo is using for the default RAM voltage, and also make sure that you know what voltage your RAM calls for. My example applies to alot of people, but maybe not you.
I still yet to see where my BIOS reports my RAM voltage...all I see related to RAM voltage is the overvoltage...unless I'm missing it somewhere?

You'll have to look up your mobo on the net somewhere in order to figure out the default RAM voltage. So if you find out that the default is 1.8v, then "+.1v" that you see in the BIOS would actually be 1.9v ect. I don't know why mobos read like that, it's stupid to me. You'll have to look up your RAM on the net too to figure out the voltage it calls for.

I know the RAM's voltage already, I'll just have to find out what the default voltage is for my mobo... thanks for the help guys, I'll see what happens.

Ok, found out it defaults to 1.8v (at least that's what I think it is...one place said 1.8v another said 1.9...so I'm not too sure =\, and it shows 1.8v in CPU-Z). I looked at what my RAM's recommended voltage is, and the G.Skill is 2v, and the OCZ is 2.1v. And I already have my overvoltage for my RAM set to +0.2, which'll make it at the G.Skill's max recommneded (2v). So I was wondering...is it ok to go over the recommended voltage? Or am I just gonna have to live with my 5-6-6-17 timings (if so, that'll be ok I suppose).

This is the G.Skill RAM I have: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
and this is the OCZ RAM I have: Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I run my RAM at +.2 over the recommended. It's under warrenty, and in about a year or so before I go to college, I'm going to reset everything because my parents and sister don't need it overclocked. I'm not worried about running it at 2.2v.

I have the exact same RAM as you by the way.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. I'll try upping the overvoltage by a notch and see if that helps.

Well just to let you all know..it worked by upping the OV up a notch. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom