Recovering Protected Files on Another Windows Xp Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Well, i cant get my windows xp on my harddrive to start up. Ive tried soo much, so now i have to resort to backing up my important files off it onto another harddrive. I got it hooked up, but i cant copy the files because they are protected, because they are on a different user and different installation. Ive had to do this before, i jsut cant remeber what you do to get the files unprotected so i can copy them onto my good harddrive before i reformat the other.

1. Log on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
  2. If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing.
  3. Right-click the folder/file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  4. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  5. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  6. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  7. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folderName. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
  8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom