Is AMD Now Obsolete?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey im running an athlon 6000+ and am extremely happy with it. this is comming from a former hardcore intel junky. hehe and while I still love intel processors, that new quadcore is something else, I have to say that this 6000+ was well worth it, it performs wondefully, does everything and i mean everything I tell it to with power left over, I have never maxed it out. Im also using an older AMD Turion single core in my laptop, and while it gets hot it performs rather well to no complaints. happy with both. they both make comparible processors in my opinion, just pick the one youll be happy with. if you really really want to stick AMD and still have the best out there just wait, supposedly AMD is coming out with a 8 core processor sometime towards the end of this year, and its supposed to blow intel out of the market, though im skeptical of that, but we shall see. :D

most phenoms can't go up to like 2.6 which is why they don't have the 2.6 ghz versions out yet..

if you're going to think about going budget quad, wait until the 9900 comes out, cause they have l3 cache, which will come into use with newer application programming, also the l1 cache is higher. the l2 cache fails in comparison to the intels though so watch out for that. also if you do get a phenom, they have to run them fairly hot to get them up to the speed, eg: the 9900 takes up 140 watts to maintain a 2.6 clock speed.

the only bonus that the phenom will have over the q, qx series, is that the HyperTransport is better/faster at transporting data then intels Front Side Bus. that is just amd having better core architecture then intel.

other then that though, and pricewise, there isn't much of a reason to buy a phenom. the "erata bug" isn't that big of a deal, but the phenom is limited in terms of overclocking which blows...

what you could do if you like is get a 5000 x2 black edition and clock it up to speeds of the 6000 x2 for less.

boo, bad wording choice on my part. i meant that the phenoms have l3 cache as a whole, but wait for the 9900 to come out cause it will be relatively cheap and fast.

my 5000+ Black Edition is at 3.0GHz n no voltage increase, temp average 25 C, but y does my FSB:DRAM show CPU/8 instead of 1:2 like i put it in BIOS?

amd x2 4600 for $79.99 now, phenom 2.2 ghz quad core for $189.99, AMD has some good deals IMO

ya AMD has great prices... and are great in the Budget area but they aren't that great in the Enthusiast's Area

I dunno my amd 6000+ works like a charm. Course all I do is gaming, and it has more then enough horsepower to play games like COD4 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom