Whats the difference between 4x and 8x video cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-D Racing

Solid State Member
Im wondering what the difference is between 4x and 8x apg video cards? Im running an e-Machines and i beleve it has a 4x apg slot. Could i put an 8x card in it?

This is termed as AGP throughput. AGP 4X has throughput of (I remeber) 1.07 GB/s, where as in 8X (as its double) theorotically the throughput is as well doubled to 2.1GB/s, but you will not find any difference so far. but I think new PCI-X will surely make difference.

as far as your Mobo is concerned, I am very sorry to say that YES, your motherboard will run an AGP 8X card without any problem (sorry as now your dad has to pay for your AGP 8X card, :) ), unless until you are paying for your own (No Offence)

for extra information:

Throughputs since AGP standard is in:

1X = 266MB/s
2X = 533MB/s
4X = 1.07GB/s
8X = 2.14GB/s

God, no wonder your name is blind arrow, you're as blind as hell. NO!!! You WON'T be able to run an 8x AGP card on a 4x AGP slot. You must have a motherboard with an 8x slot to run it. This is due to a higher data transfer by the 8x card that the board won't be able to handle.

Also, YES you will be able to tell the difference between the 8x and the 4x. The 8x will process twice as fast as the 4x allowing games or what ever to appear smoother and allowing you to have higher video settings in games.

wont bring any difference in speed, I have tested almost every major motherboard and every card out of ATi and nVidia. why are you recommending him changing his motherboard at the same time, he can buy 8X card now, use it, and then upgrade mobo in future.

I never recommended for him to buy a new mobo. I'm just saying that i think it would be a waste of money to buy a 8x card and not even run it at 8x. For me personally if I were in his situation I would blow up that e-machine, and start from scratch. He is gonna have a hard time finding a new mobo that will fit in the case anyways. I had a e-machine and their cases are tiny. Whatever, it's all up to him.

u see, he just asked a simple question, if he can run AGP8X card into his AGP4X slot. I have sold out 250+ ATI cards, and 30% of my users were on AGP4X.

anyway, never point out one's nick in open forum. as you are new, so its OK. you'll never see anyone doing that, regardless of whatever level they have. (again no offence), Be Friendly all the time! Life is short

The way you said it made it sound like that he could run his card at 8x when his board could only run it at 4x. Sorry if i confused you or whatever.

Guys,guys.......come on now. We are all supposed to help eachother here. that is why forums are for. Thankyou for your help. There isnt a major price difference on videocards. but i dont like the idea of extra performance going to waste. so i may get a new case and videocard. than maybe a mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom