Memory v. Processor Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
My question is: What aspect of computing do each affect, and an increase in either of them helps the performance in what way?

My understanding is that an increase in memory increases the capacity of a computer to run many processes at the same time, whereas an increase in the processor increases the speed at which they get done?

Is that correct? because my computer has 2GB dual-channel corsair memory, and an Intel P4 2.55 Ghz and with XP it is slow. It is slower than my 1GB corsair AMD 64 FX-51. Does the processor's cache memory have to do with the difference? because websites are loading slowly, IE is being very slow when switching from tab-to-tab, all the other applications are being very slow.

Should I consider purchasing a new processor?

Thank you.

Well the fx series processors are the best single cores IMO. You can get by fine with 1 gb in XP. I didn't see a big difference with an extra gig unless I was running something intense like a music production program. Cache doesn't play a huge role. Although in certain cases it does. But an average user would hardly benenfit from a larger cache. Has your p4 always been slow, or just recently???

When I do minimal work such as simple word processing and internet browsing it is fine, but only when there is very minimal activity in the background. But with virus scanners, anti spywares, etc. etc., it adds up and maybe that's what's killing it? but I would have thought that memory, 2 GB memory, would fix it?

yea that would help out alot. Those programs can be resource hogs. I was running bit defender and that thing basically ate up most of my ram. Grab another gig

Is it really the memory though? or would an increase in processing would help?

I see you already have 2gb of ram. I had mistakenly thought you had 1gb, but that is your other rig. 2gb is plenty on xp. Like I stated before. I was running an fx-55 w/ 1gb of Corsair XMS and it was pretty god **** fast. If I had realized earlier that you had 2gb already then I would of suggested a new cpu. Also disable any unnecessary startup progs

So then processor does play a big role?

what kind of a processor should I look for? if I have lots of processes and lots of work load to go through, what aspect of a processor should I look out for? cache? clock speed? etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom