ATA/SATA Hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

qk232

Baseband Member
I see SATA 3.0 G/s 7200rpm advertised as supported on many motherboards, and then ATA150 10,000rpm hard drives but they look like they hook up via SATA. Are the ATA150 drives compatible with SATA 3.0 G/s connectors? I can see from pictures that they physically fit. Are the ATA150's "better"/more advanced?

there is no such thing is "ATA150", i'm not being pedantic about spelling, i'm only correcting you because you said it a few times. SATA150 and SATA 3.0 are pretty much entirely intercompatible standards i.e. a SATA150 drive will work on a SATA 3.0 controller and vice versa.

SATA 3.0 allows for greater data throughput as drives get more advanced. currently it used more as a selling point to newbies than anything as there are no drives that can even saturate the bandwidth of a SATA150 interface (hence why WD's Raptors are still available on the SATA150).

there is no such thing is "ATA150", i'm not being pedantic about spelling, i'm only correcting you because you said it a few times. SATA150 and SATA 3.0 are pretty much entirely intercompatible standards i.e. a SATA150 drive will work on a SATA 3.0 controller and vice versa.

SATA 3.0 allows for greater data throughput as drives get more advanced. currently it used more as a selling point to newbies than anything as there are no drives that can even saturate the bandwidth of a SATA150 interface (hence why WD's Raptors are still available on the SATA150).

Ok. That makes sense. I just got confused while reading the titles on newegg. How they put SATA 3.0, but then spell out Serial ATA150. I wasn't sure if they were different or not.
Ex: Serial "ATA150"
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Ex: SATA 3.0
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

So a 10,000rpm SATA 150 would be effectively faster than a SATA 3.0 7,200rpm hd? Thanks for the help.

qk232 said:
So a 10,000rpm SATA 150 would be effectively faster than a SATA 3.0 7,200rpm hd?

Yes, but for the price, it's not really worth it. Unless you have the cash to burn or can't wait another 10 seconds for things to load.

For example...the price of a WD 150GB 10k rpm drive, is around the $150-170 range. For that same amount of money, you can get a 750GB hard drive, also by WD.

The choice is your's. I can't tell you what to buy.

Yes, but for the price, it's not really worth it. Unless you have the cash to burn or can't wait another 10 seconds for things to load.

For example...the price of a WD 150GB 10k rpm drive, is around the $150-170 range. For that same amount of money, you can get a 750GB hard drive, also by WD.

The choice is your's. I can't tell you what to buy.
Good to know. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom