Does this sound like a pretty good comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackwrx

In Runtime
I'm almost 100% sure this is what I'll be ordering in the next few days unless there is some huge problem you guys can find with it. I know it's not the best, but I think it's one of the best 32-bit systems I could make. And it's also less than $2,000 for everything listed (from newegg) so I'm pleased that I can keep it fairly inexpensive. Let me know what you think, thanks!

ASPIRE X-Alien Silver Steel Server Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "ATXA1AW/420" -RETAIL

ASPIRE 80mm Blue UV Reactive 4pin Case Fan, Model "CF4S-UBL" -RETAIL (4)

DFI "LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -RETAIL

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ "Barton", 400MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR with LED activity indicators PC-3200PRO - Retail

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/ PS/2 104keys -RETAIL

SONY SDM-S74/B 17" LCD Monitor -RETAIL

US Robotics 56K V.90 Data/Fax/Voice Modem, Model 2976 - OEM

Lite-On 8X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model SOHW-832S BLK, Retail

SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1612, OEM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack SP1a - OEM

Sounds like a good system but the processor sounds to new. how long have they been out for. Remember that the lateist and greatest may not be the best idea. look at a cpu that has been out a few months.

uve got a good setup there. but if i were u i would save urself some money and buy a 2500 oem and a decent heat sink then overclock to the 3200 speeds. just a money savin tip.

Wow, I didn't realize the price drop to a 2500. I'll definitely look into that! Oh, and I decided on a different LCD monitor, it's $10 cheaper and the specs are much better than the sony. Any other insight or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the new monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-158&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Oh, and one other quick question. I think I'm going to go with a gig of RAM instead of 512 mb. I was looking around and zipzoomfly has a gig of the RAM i listed above for $267 and it's $318 for the same thing at newegg. They both have free shipping, so I think I'm gonna get the RAM from zipzoomfly... are they a good company to buy from? I don't know anything about them. Thanks!

Oh, one other quick question... I head the raptors get loud, is that true? It's not gonna be a big deal with 6 case fans, a cpu fan, and a video card fan running, I was just curious if it was really that loud.

Any other insight before I decide to empty my wallet? Any sory of comment or suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom