Harddrives. Which to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PersianMafia said:
I'm speaking about good brand drives such as maxtor, seagate, wd etc, and not about cheap brands that make these drives.

Thanks for any help.

Oh my god, not this debate again! God i hate this stupid my HDD is better than your HDD... no no no.. folks... do us a favor and search our forums before posting this type of question.

PersianMafia, just in the past 2-3 months, i remember seeing atleast 2 different threads with the same question you posted. Do a search and you will find plenty to read. Thanks.

if youre not looking for massive storage amounts go for a wd raptor 74 gb. theyre very fast and have a decent amount of storage space. if you need something bigger just get another one either internal or external nowadays 200 gb harddrives are getting cheaper so youll be able to afford both.

PersianMafia, sorry about my previous posting. I have to reword my response because upon re-reading the question, it seems more than your usual 'Which HDD is better?' type of post.

I'm not an expert at all in HDD storage but i'll answer some of the points raised in your question.

PATA hard drives

The size of your new HDD should be based on factors like how much data you currently have, applications/uses for your PC (such as video or graphics editing, home pc server, etc.) and how long you plan on keeping your PC.

The newest ATA standard (Serial ATA) offers the fatest data transmission rates. However, you shouldn't be too quick to buy one unless your MB supports SATA HDDs. Many users w/ older systems who have bought a new SATA HDD use a PATA -> SATA cable converter... but IMHO, that's it's really not worth it, unless you plan on upgrading your MB in the near future. Cuz the increment you'll notice in the overall speed is better but you definitely won't get the maximum throughput speed of a SATA.

External/Internal: It's totally upto you. As long as you have another IDE connector available in your PC, you can install an internal HDD. The primary advantage of an external HDD is the portability factor and this is particular good for people with multiple PCs they'd like to backup.

Generally speaking external devices (such as HDDs and CD burners) are slower in speed compared to an internal but you can get a decent external unit with Firewire connection that will give you a definite boost in speed. (Firewire is still faster than USB 2.0).

Basically it depends on your budget and your personal preference. Personally, speaking I like Maxtor and Western Dig.

Thanks guys, well I live in Canada, and on Vancouver Island so the prices are jacked up here. What Canadian sites are the best. IMO ncix.com and tigerdirect.ca are the best. Am I correct. If newegg.com ships to Canada should I go with them or should i stick to the Canadian only sites? THis is 'generally' speaking of course since the prices of different products vary. I'm thinking of 160-200GB SATA and thats final. And I'd prefer a WD or Seagate. Now I should start my research, but are my three aforementioned sites good sources? And you pay with credit card right?

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 200GB ATA/100 $176
Maxtor 7200 200GB ATA133 $176
WD 7200 200GB ATA100 $163

They are all roughly the same price and same specs (except the maxtor is ata 133, thats faster right?)

Whats the best bang for the buck? I'm looking for stability and low noise level along with solid performance for mp3/video storage. I wont be loading an OS onto this. Whats your pick? I read a lot about people RMA (whatever tha means) the WD's so thats not good. Also, if i order off here, would I need to get any packaging to go with any of these hdd?
I read a lot of people had to rma their wd's (whatever that means) Now I'm looking for stability and long term usage, whats your best bet?

Are the 200gb hdd just as solid as the 160 gb?

Now, to set this up here are my drives:
80GB SATA Seagate (OS HDD)
200GB X (Mass storage of music/movies)
DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

Whats the best way to hook these three up? The SATA is a given, but for the 200gb and the cdrom drive should i put them each as a master of the two ide drives, or does my 200gb HDD (which will have no os) have to go as a slave since it wont be having an OS? Could you tell me your opinion about this hdd and its price and whats the best connection method to my mobo. Cant wait to set my system up!

Also, sorry, Im a noob at ordering online, will I be needing to buy any Harddrive protective packaging from ncix? Or do they have that stuff part of the shipping price?

And whats RMAing? Do larger harddrives like this have a higher chance of crashing, and will I need cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom