Display sig once per thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Large "block sigs", sigs which appear to be one large block of an image (Trotter, b1gapl, and Peter) take up lots of space on the screen, your eye is drawn away from the post and to the bright and pretty colours below.

Sigs with just plain text, or text and an image (such as backup, chris's and mine) are less invasive on the eyes (and take shorter load times)

However i doubt that most users (who spend alot of time one their sigs) would not want such restrictions imposed on them :)

I think we have to find a happy medium here, if we did go for the only one sig option, users on a slow connection (the ones we are trying to help) would see the large sigs and hit back becuase they couldnt be bothered to wait. Clearly this would be non members, dial up, coming in from a search engiene and not realise that it would only load once.

Tech-Forums members would also be a little more, how can I put this, "rebellious" and think that becuase their sig was only going to get 1 post in the spot light they would need to cram as much in as possiable!

Im not sure, definatly my text only mode could work, and the SE's would love it!

Cheers :)

I'm not on dial-up or anything, but I wouldn't mind this myself. Scrolling though pages of sigs does get annoying after a while.

Doesn't matter, though, since it's never gonna get implemented. Half the links on this forum don't even work.

"Yea we shouldn't cater to dial ups, they bought dial up and should deal with their decision"

is a big truth but not all out there bought it just for fun, some bought it cause they cant afford DSL so we shouldnt be too hard on them because of that.

"However i doubt that most users (who spend alot of time one their sigs) would not want such restrictions imposed on them

I think we have to find a happy medium here"

I agree with Tkey here, and I mention again my opinion:

We dont have to make all sigs only text or just to abandon every one to put the sig as the size they want, but I believe that you can make a size restriction, if they want to have a cool sig, they can do it on a 300x100 area... it can be a really cool sig and it doenst have to be 800x600... that way i guess that even though some will complain, they can get used to it and we can read more messages instead of more meaningless signatures (some of them only the owner understands what he wanted to say...ex: mine... so)

thats a suggestion.

We have a size restriction of 468 x 120. This a TOTAL area, not per image. the only exceptions are for people who are Folding for tech-Forums (they get a userbar and the stats box), and mods (they get a userbar and a little more real estate if they want it).

This limit was put in place because of dialup, as well as to limit the amount of scrolling. The limit is a good one (maybe a little longer would be OK, but that's not up to me).

This is just a suggestion. The main forum where I see this allows much larger sigs than we do, and it woks out great. That forum doesn't use vb, thogh, so the whole point might be moot. It would use vB if it were free or significantly cheaper (the webmaster is a genius with this stuff, and even he says vb is the best).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom