No sound with media files

Status
Not open for further replies.

BottleRocket

Baseband Member
Whether it's iTunes, WinAmp, Real Player, and Windows Media, I can't seem to hear my media files. When I open a video, I can see it playing, but I don't hear anything. And when it's through WMP for music or video it says:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

I don't understand why it says this. It just started happening after a defrag.

Ah, well your old enough now to know how to use google to search for drivers. I think that could be the problem. Let me know ;)

Either drivers, which i have never heard of a defrag erasing drivers...or you need codecs.

Well, yeah. I would find new drivers if I wasn't getting any sound from anything. But I get sound from internet videos and music, AIM, etc. I know the speakers are working....but not media files.

Ah, in which case codecs, try downloading a flv player and play an flv file, if youtube works, that uses flv, and it works on your computer then you know its a codec.

KLite codec pack
CCCP
AC3Filter

Between those 3 you have every codec you need.

Yeah, the codec thing didn't work. I am still getting this message:
"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."
What the ****?

Have you tried another applicaiton to make sure this file is alright? From what i am seeing it seems that WMP doesnt recognize the file and can not play it at all. Check it with WMP Classic or VLC to make sure it is a workign file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom