Quick Ram Question (Please at least look at)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higach

In Runtime
Ok heres just a quick question:

266x8, 2:3 divider, 2.1v, 400Mhz, runs fine
300x8, 2:3 divider, 2.1v, 450Mhz, runs fine
320x8, 4:5 divider, 2.1v, doesnt work
320x8, 1:1 divider, 2.1v, doesnt work
400x8, 1:1 divider, 2.1v, doesnt work

If I know for a FACT that the ram runs fine at 400Mhz on a 2:3 divider, but it doesnt run at 400Mhz on a 1:1 divider, is something wrong with the stick? I have 2 of the same sticks of ram, bought 3 months apart, 1 OCs like a champ, the other seems to be a dud.

Is there some kind of behind the scenes overclocking going on when I change the divider? or should it always be able to run at 400Mhz no matter what the divider is. Because I always thought 400Mhz is 400Mhz, and the divider shouldn't make the ram not work.

And FYI the first stick I got I can reach 485Mhz, and easily do 400x8. I tried dual channel, and the second stick by itself, both suck the big one. So i know its not the overclock, its the stick of ram.

Any help is appreciated.. really need someone to post. This issue is really bugging me. Thanks.

EDIT----------

Holy cow actually I just checked both their labels again. They both say: F2-6400PHU1-1GBNR, DDRII1GB, PC2-6400, CL5-5-5-15 1.9-2.0V... but they both have different S/N.. One starts with 652 (the good one) and the other starts with 716 (the bad one)...

This mean anything? I ordered from the same link from newegg.. They have slightly different heatsinks, but are still recognized as dual channel. It also still doesnt explain why it can't run when the divider is changed.

Hey I see your not getting any reply's. Im not an overclocker myself so i cant really help you much. But I think you can be safe if thinking the ram is the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I made this because I found a forum where a gskill technician can reply to Q and A so whenever the admin lets me become a member, I can post it.

ImageShack - Hosting :: gskillramoa3.jpg

I bought them both from this link:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
(what's funny is the heatsink in the photo is different than both of my heatsinks, yet its suppose to be the same ram)

My main question is why would a ddr2-800 stick that ran 400mhz and 450mhz both on 2:3 divider not run more than 313mhz when the divider is 1:1 (let alone 400mhz, its rated speed).

Is 1:1 harder on the ram then 2:3? If that's the case I understand but if not, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom